Waterproof Rear LED Light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Niall McL

After having problems with water ingress into a SMART rear LED light, I'm looking for a decent quality light that won't let water in. Probably in the £20 to £30 bracket. Any suggestions?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've got a Smart 1/2 Watt and have never had a problem but then I've never had a water problem with any make. Maybe you were just unlucky with a dodgy seal?

I think most lights (both front and rear) have a rubber washer between the two parts of the casing to keep the internals dry. Before you go buying new lights check that this washer is not being pinched or forced out of shape or it hasn't fallen out while installing the batterys. I have had all three of the above happen to me at one time or another and it can be a pain to make sure it is fitted correctly.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've got three of those Smart 1/2 watt jobs and I find they do tend to let in the water. I've never had one fail on me in any weather, what happens is the light fails to turn off. After a spell on the radiator they are fine again. If there's a chance of having to ride in the rain with no guards I wrap a bit of cling film around them.

Alternatively perhaps take a look at the 1W BLT rear light, around £15.

The Blackburn Mars 4.0 is as bright as you get for that price, and very waterproof

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Blackburn-Mars-4.0-Flasher-Rear-Light_22335.htm
+1

The Smart at least fails on when it gets wet (like palinrus says) but that only after a long soaking in a torrential downpour and there's no long term damage. I was a bit sick of that occasional failure however so I opted for the Mars 4.0 and I've been impressed with it.

djb1971

Legendary Member
All of my smarts leak and I'm forever squirting gt85 into them. As already stated the mars 4.0 is good because of the screws that hold the rubber seal tightly to the case.

OP
OP
N

Niall McL

HLaB said:
+1

The Smart at least fails on when it gets wet (like palinrus says) but that only after a long soaking in a torrential downpour and there's no long term damage. I was a bit sick of that occasional failure however so I opted for the Mars 4.0 and I've been impressed with it.

Exactly the same here...reckon I'll go for the Mars 4.0.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i use Cat Eye and have never had any problems with water ingress

Top Bottom