Waterproofing a jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
I have a very light jacket which I use when out cycling in dry weather and it is fine however it is not waterproof and I want to waterproof it so that I can use it in wet weather also

What product would you recommend to waterproof it ? and any other tips and advice on the subject

zacklaws

Guru
I had a montane velo featherlite, it was only showerproof and probably was only water resistant for about 15 mins at most when new. I tried Nikwax a few times and it was useless, eventually I decided the jacket was well past its best and time to replace it but before I did, I soaked it in Fabsil Gold (not the spray) which I had left over from waterproofing a tent and just hung it to dry. Next time I needed to wear it was on an Audax and I rode it in 5 hours of torrential rain, it never let a drop of rain in, water just beaded and ran off, it gave the jacket a new lease of life and I also treated my 2 cheapo Aldi jackets and a Gilet the same way and now all three items are perfect now out in the rain. It was never even that good brand new, even last week I was caught out in a heavy downpour and water still beaded off.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
One important thing to remember about washing waterproofs with Nikwax is that there must be no other soapy stuff around in the washing machine when you use the Nikwax, as the Nikwax doesn't work if it come into any contact with soap, which is why they always say on the container that you must at least do a complete wash cycle with no soap and no clothing in the machine to reduce the possibility/ likelihood of contamination. Failure to do this will indeed lead to the 'Nikwax is rubbish' sentiments - which I had until it was pointed out to me that ... :blush:

Following the Nikwax instructions made quite a difference ... ^_^

Mile195

Veteran
One important thing to remember about washing waterproofs with Nikwax is that there must be no other soapy stuff around in the washing machine when you use the Nikwax, as the Nikwax doesn't work if it come into any contact with soap, which is why they always say on the container that you must at least do a complete wash cycle with no soap and no clothing in the machine to reduce the possibility/ likelihood of contamination. Failure to do this will indeed lead to the 'Nikwax is rubbish' sentiments - which I had until it was pointed out to me that ... :blush:

Following the Nikwax instructions made quite a difference ... ^_^
I did indeed follow the instructions to the letter. I washed the jacket with no detergent prior to using the sachet too. That said, my washing machine is so old Jesus could have used it, so maybe there's still some residue stuck in there...

zacklaws

Guru
Fabsil Gold is recommended for breathable fabrics and when you apply it, it soaks right through the fabric anyway, my Mondane jacket is still breathable but my Aldi jackets will always be "boil in the bag" due to what they are made from, but at least they are completely waterproof now and not showerproof.

OP
OP
Wester

Wester

Guru
It seems from your replies that using Nikwax is a gamble and that Fabsil Gold is the best option for waterproofing my jacket

Top Bottom