Wattbike and Zwift

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Hi Everyone,

I have a chance to get a used Wattbike Pro from a friend of a friend. I've searched the Web to see if it will work with Zwift and it looks like there shouldn't be an issue. I think the only extra that I'll need is a Bluetooth HR sensor and I'm good to go? I understand that this trainer is 'manual', i.e. I will have to crank up the resistance on climbs myself?

Zero experience on Zwift so any advice welcome. Only have a 'plain' freestanding fan with a remote, should be good for starters, right?

mjd1988

Guru
Welcome

@steverob @Whorty @Joffey all have the wattbike atom which is a little different (the atom changes resistance automatically but the pro doesn't as you say).

Have you got a decent laptop/Apple TV?

One fan is probably enough to start, many people have several but you'll see how you go

CXRAndy

Guru
I know someone who uses a pro. It works fine, except there is no variable resistance, you set the friction manually for your preferences. But zwift can read the power fine.

He is probably one of the best mountain climbers Ive seen and is 60+ old.

OP
OP
Peter Salt

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Welcome

@steverob @Whorty @Joffey all have the wattbike atom which is a little different (the atom changes resistance automatically but the pro doesn't as you say).

Have you got a decent laptop/Apple TV?

One fan is probably enough to start, many people have several but you'll see how you go

I know someone who uses a pro. It works fine, except there is no variable resistance, you set the friction manually for your preferences. But zwift can read the power fine.

He is probably one of the best mountain climbers Ive seen and is 60+ old.
Thanks for the replies.

I got that Wattbike and will be picking it up after trick-or-treating :smile: At half the price of what I've seen on eBay it seemed a good deal.

Downloaded the Windows App and watched some other people riding. Seems to be running well even in large groups and high speeds. I've picked up a used 24'' TV from CashConverters with a nice adjustable stand just to have a larger screen. Cost me £30 and came with a 6-month warranty.

HRM arriving today from Amazon (Garmin HRM-Dual). Will see how I get on with that one fan. At 5'7'' and 73kg I'm not exactly a Wattbomb :laugh: Too much Jelly Babies, blue cheese and chips...BMI is literally 24.9 and I need to turn things around before my partner takes advantage and starts calling me overweight and actually be right ;)

That said, I'm setting it all up in the appliance room which isn't massive. Will have to remember to turn off the radiator sometime before each ride and not do any washing/drying while spinning ^_^ Probably open the window?

Also created a Strava account and downloaded the companion app as apparently that's handy?

Should I start with the shorter FTP test tomorrow? How do I share my account details so people can follow/befriend?

mjd1988

Guru
Thanks for the replies.

I got that Wattbike and will be picking it up after trick-or-treating :smile: At half the price of what I've seen on eBay it seemed a good deal.

Downloaded the Windows App and watched some other people riding. Seems to be running well even in large groups and high speeds. I've picked up a used 24'' TV from CashConverters with a nice adjustable stand just to have a larger screen. Cost me £30 and came with a 6-month warranty.

HRM arriving today from Amazon (Garmin HRM-Dual). Will see how I get on with that one fan. At 5'7'' and 73kg I'm not exactly a Wattbomb :laugh: Too much Jelly Babies, blue cheese and chips...BMI is literally 24.9 and I need to turn things around before my partner takes advantage and starts calling me overweight and actually be right ;)

That said, I'm setting it all up in the appliance room which isn't massive. Will have to remember to turn off the radiator sometime before each ride and not do any washing/drying while spinning ^_^ Probably open the window?

Also created a Strava account and downloaded the companion app as apparently that's handy?

Should I start with the shorter FTP test tomorrow? How do I share my account details so people can follow/befriend?

Very good, sure introduce yourself on the main splitters zwift thread. FTP test is not fun but good start particularly if you want to do some racing

Top Bottom