Weight training - legs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are you guys using a leg press machine here or squat rack?

I can manage around 120kg in a seated leg press but squatting with the machine rack is much more difficult.

Fair play to you, 15 reps and I'm all done in!

jayce

i squat 170kg sometimes more all free weights if i go on the machine can do all in the seated leg press at the mo im 15st with 37 in legs but still fit i cycle up hills all the time. i live in an area with hills and more hills and hills again . i take alot of protein 1 in morn then afternoon ,at night ,i double up after comin on from the bike as well

montage

God Almighty
I have read some reports (mainly on other forums, I will try dig up) that say that doing weights doesn't seem to benefit cycling much at all. These reports also say that it is far more beneficial to just get on the bike rather than do weights. Having strong legs doesn't mean that they are good for endurance, and could just be extra weight.

Maybe somebody with more intelligence and who understands the matter could expand on this - as I know sod all!

As for protein shakes, I have allways had an unjustified opinion that they are for mincers...do they actually have any negative effects or am I just being uncalled for?

col

Legendary Member
montage said:
I have read some reports (mainly on other forums, I will try dig up) that say that doing weights doesn't seem to benefit cycling much at all. These reports also say that it is far more beneficial to just get on the bike rather than do weights. Having strong legs doesn't mean that they are good for endurance, and could just be extra weight.

Maybe somebody with more intelligence and who understands the matter could expand on this - as I know sod all!

As for protein shakes, I have allways had an unjustified opinion that they are for mincers...do they actually have any negative effects or am I just being uncalled for?

Any exercise for your legs can be beneficial in some way for cycling,but the exercise of cycling is best for cycling,for power hit the hills and push it,for endurance just keep going,and speed well just try to go flat out,but dont forget rest,its as important as the actual training.
As for protein drinks,they can supplement your diet,but you can get as much protien as you need from a tin of tuna,i prefer in brine.The body is very afficiant at using what it needs, and what it doesnt need will be gotten rid of shall we say naturally.If memory serves me i think we can only handle about 45 grams of protein a day,so two tins of tuna will give you your protien needs,anymore is wasted.

jayce

when you use the bike its the same as weight training your body needs protein i dont eat tuna (no thanks) i have protein drink muscles grow with protein thats their food you can extract protein from lots ov food i have always taken the drinks but also i weight train as well not just cycle as far as im concerned it all helps i take it 3 times a day never did me any harm and i have big legs and im fit to go with it so i think you should do what you think is best for each person

montage

God Almighty
jayce said:
when you use the bike its the same as weight training your body needs protein i dont eat tuna (no thanks) i have protein drink muscles grow with protein thats their food you can extract protein from lots ov food i have always taken the drinks but also i weight train as well not just cycle as far as im concerned it all helps i take it 3 times a day never did me any harm and i have big legs and im fit to go with it so i think you should do what you think is best for each person

big legs = more weight?
Not saying big legs are wrong by any means, but tour riders appear to have average/skinny legs. I assume more leg muscle = more weight and less oxygen efficient as there is more muscle, therefore greater length for the oxygen to diffuse - I havent studied biology or anything related to this, just going on common sense and would like a slap on the wrists if this is incorrect.

Anyway big legs are allways a hit with the lesser/supirior (delete as appropriate) species. Though shaved isnt such a big hit..

col

Legendary Member
generally speaking,large legs give more short term power,and slimmer legs give longer endurance.Like sprinters tend to be more muscular and long distant runners slim.But the anomaly is to get large legs heavy wieght and low reps give best results,yet speed can be related to power,so its not as simple as it seems,it all depends what you want to train for,these can be reversed for example if you bodybuild for large strong legs,ie low heavy reps,but go running too.The upshot of it is,nowadays you can really design your muscular shape in most sports by training and eating correctly in whatever way you like,if your legs are getting too big ,lower the wieght and up the reps,or less protien and lighter running.Some people are naturally large in musculature others are not,like i said its just in general.

jayce

i used to bodybuild for a good couple of years so my legs are a fair size dont really struggle on long rides thats the way my legs a now ,ive stopped going to the gym now so they might lose some girth but i like muscular legs gets me attention if you know wot i mean ,but im up now for the big hills where i live so i should lose a fair bit once i buy a hrm,like col said all of us a built in different ways, and my legs have never let me down yet ,its all biking now no training no more

col

Legendary Member
jayce said:
i used to bodybuild for a good couple of years so my legs are a fair size dont really struggle on long rides thats the way my legs a now ,ive stopped going to the gym now so they might lose some girth but i like muscular legs gets me attention if you know wot i mean ,but im up now for the big hills where i live so i should lose a fair bit once i buy a hrm,like col said all of us a built in different ways, and my legs have never let me down yet ,its all biking now no training no more

Same here jayce,but you will know what i mean when i say that a good burn now and then keeps the legs going eh,and a really steep hill is a good workout too,especially if done slowly;)

col

Legendary Member
jayce said:
right col the hills where i live you have no choice than too go slow ,i live in the valleys its all hills ..

Your definitely not going to lose your legs to atrophy then:biggrin: I much rather have the choice when i get a workout,which sounds like nowhere near as often as you.;)

jayce

it is hard work if i go down the valley its 11 miles to where i go then its the climb back home ,if i go over aberdare hill its a 1 1/4 miles quite steep hill to start straight away so im f****d all ways . ;)

Top Bottom