Weldtite Dirtwash and Spray Lube - Questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bandini

I picked up a big bottle of the above from Boyes for cleaning my bike. Is it suitable to put in my chain cleaner?

I also got some of their Teflon Spray Lube. I use Finish Line Wet on my chain, but bought this for other moving parts. Trouble is (sorry I am new!) I can't work out exactly where to put the lube from my owners manual, or my Haynes manual. So far I have just squirted at anything that looks like a moving part. Can anyone help me to be more specific?

I have a Dawes KaraKum.

Cubist

Still wavin'
The Dirtwash looks as if it'll be the same as Muc Off etc etc. It also sounds like it'll be OK for using in a chain cleaner. As with anything else, make sure you get all the product off with water afterwards and then use a good lube.

When you've used it all up, try and find a bottle of Gunk Green degreaser. I use that diluted with water at about 20:1 in a spray bottle and it gets throught the grime really well. Same applies though, needs to be flushed away with water and everything relubed afterwards.

Once you've washed your bike then you need to get rid of the water. Bump and spin to get the most off, then if you're really keen use a chamois or sponge cloth. Now, use your teflon spray on exposed metal surfaces, spray on, wipe off. Keep it off your braking surfaces at all costs though!

Get some on a cloth and run it over the cable outers, and any exposed inners. Use the little plastic tube in the spray to squirt a drop into the barrel adjusters on your cables. If you're feeling really conscientious then slacken your cables off, pull the outers out of their guides and make sure the inners are all clean and lubed under the outers.

You need to use a cloth to wipe all the water from your newly degreased chain, and this now needs to be lubed. Whatever lube you use, drip it onto your chain a roller at a time, and run the chain over the gears. Wipe the chain with a cloth and ensure that all surfaces have a fine film of lube on them. Any more than that is a waste and will attract dirt and grime. Finally a drop of lube on each of the jockeys in the rear mech, a squirt and a wipe on the cages and springs of the front and rear mechs.

Top Bottom