Well it had to happen eventually

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redjedi

Über Member
I had my first off this morning.

My own fault ;) I had just turned off a main road onto a quiet residential street.
As there was no traffic I thought it would be a good chance to see where a noise was coming from. It's either the chain needs more lube or it's rubbing on the front dereilleur.

As I was looking down, I must have moved slightly to the left, because when I looked up then was a pile of rubbish bag left on the side of the road for collection. I tried to swerve to avoid them but the front wheel went straight into a stray one on the end.

As I was trying to turn, I came off at and angle and ending up landing on my left side, then sliding along the road. Stopping after a few metres when I went got wedged under the back of a parked car.

The good news is that there is no damage to the bike (cushioned by the rubbish bags), and at the moment only a few grazes on my elbow and knee (although I'm starting to feel the stiffness already), and a sore right buttock from the impact with the car.
Also no witnesses, so no damage to the pride :tongue:

The bad news is that I landed on my bananas and now I have no after ride snack. :biggrin:
The pear survived in one piece.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
It's good to know you have a nice pear!! ;);)

Almost done that myself, you feel like you're going in a straight line.... :tongue:

Tetedelacourse

At the risk of inviting the karma fairy, ha ha ha! That sounds like a comedy fall. Only because you're not badly hurt and the bike's ok mind you. but ha ha! Good stuff. My worst bike incident was similar - I was watching my gears change on the back sprocket and I cycled into the back of a parked car. Had lips like Lesley Ashe after that.

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
magnatom said:
Ouch! ;) Glad you were ok. Dare I ask, did you leave any damage on the car?

No damage to car. It was mostly my rucksack that got wedged under it, and my ass that banged into the rear bumper, still some padding left on there :tongue:

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
Tetedelacourse said:
At the risk of inviting the karma fairy, ha ha ha! That sounds like a comedy fall. Only because you're not badly hurt and the bike's ok mind you. but ha ha! Good stuff. My worst bike incident was similar - I was watching my gears change on the back sprocket and I cycled into the back of a parked car. Had lips like Lesley Ashe after that.

It was a comedy fall, and I was quick to check no-one saw and get on my way before anyone could, checking for blood further down the road ;)

As it happens I saw the rubbish truck turning onto the street at the next junction. If I had been 10 mins later the bags wouldn't have been there.

Graham O

redjedi said:
The bad news is that I landed on my bananas and now I have no after ride snack. :tongue:

That makes it a major incident. Have you sought counselling?

When I was riding to school with a friend, we used to ride through a pile of building sand outside a house. But one day as we shot across the pavement to go into it, we found that the pavement was actually wet concrete! We both fell off and made a real mess of the concrete. We scarpered quickly and didn't take that route again for a few months ;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mushy banana - hope it didn't split and go everywhere - then that would have been bad.

Just eat it, still fresh !!!

Mr Pig

Apparently that's one of the biggest causes of cycle crashes, looking down to see what the noise is. We all do it, but I try not to. It's also why I don't want to put cycle computers on my kid's bikes, despite them nagging for them.

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
fossyant said:
Mushy banana - hope it didn't split and go everywhere - then that would have been bad.

Just eat it, still fresh !!!

Coincedently (sp?) I took 2 bananas with me today, normally only take one. My Jedi senses told me something terrible was going to happen to the first.

The second one did survive without too much damage, and only a little bit of mess in my bag, nothing on my clean clothes luckily.

Top Bottom