Well quite happy today, sunny, bright......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Lovely weather (not a tornado in sight!) and my fastest commute in of the year.

Mind you, I only averaged 14.4mph with a time of 46:26 (but I am on a converted mtb with 1.5" slicks, I'm really overweight, a really big hill, blah, blah, excuse, excuse, etc). Still, I know it may not be fast to many people, but I've shaved off almost 15 minutes from my very first commute this year -though admittedly I can't say I pushed myself at all that first day.

I know commuting isn't a race, but my main problem this year has been that I've been doing what I call "junk" miles -meaning I just spin with little effort, and don't put the effort in. From now on I've resolved to at least once a week try to better my best time -if only to improve my fitness and give me something to aim for.

Anyway, it's always nice when you start to see an improvement.

Maz

Guru
As long as you keep breaking your personal best, that's got to be a good thing!

Do you see many other bicycle commuters on your route? And what work do you do out there (nosey git that I am - I asked Keith Oates in China/Vietnam the same question once and got a disconcertingly vague answer...)

OP
OP
Nigeyy

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Because I usually am up early (cycle in to be at work by 7:00am at the latest) I don't see many cyclists, but then again I don't see many going home either. I have seen a guy commuting on a road bike now and again, but he's past me in a flash so never have time to say anything more than "hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" (imagine voice getting fainter towards end). I would say hello, but really it's the done thing over here to say "hi". When I first came to the States it took me a time to get over this as well as saying "guy" instead of "bloke" -from being in the UK I always thought only chirpy trendy DJs ever said "hi" and "guy". Now and again I do see a pack of roadies, but they are definitely out for the ride and not for a commute.

For work I do software development (nothing interesting), dabbling dangerously in a few areas, mostly java stuff -recently I've been starting to look at Ruby. I used to work for a legal publishing company and vividly remember taking the shuttle from Boston to New York and flying over the WTC (worked in an office overlooking Madison Square Garden -always thought it was really weird it wasn't a garden, wasn't square, and wasn't on Madison Ave, but I digress). The same company sent me to various other states including Dallas, Texas where I saw the School Book Repository building. Been in the States about 18 years now -would love to do a cross-USA tour one day -probably will do it once the kids are through college and the mortgage is paid.

Maz said:
As long as you keep breaking your personal best, that's got to be a good thing!

Do you see many other bicycle commuters on your route? And what work do you do out there (nosey git that I am - I asked Keith Oates in China/Vietnam the same question once and got a disconcertingly vague answer...)

Maz

Guru
Nice one, Nigeyy.

I used to work in the US during the summer months while at Uni...Worked in NYC as a furniture removal man, of all things. Used to go to the WTC most days to catch the PATH train as I was sometimes working in the warehouse in NJ.

Happy days.

Maz

Guru
Nigeyy said:
Maz, weren't you in Sheffield as well? Or is my memory failing me? From Sheffield originally, just up the road from Hillsborough.
Yes. Born and bred. But not Hillsborough (please!) - from central Sheffield nr Bramall Lane (Sheffield Utd :biggrin:)

OP
OP
Nigeyy

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Booo! It's not too late to change teams :wacko: Bet you find Leicester a bit flatter.

Maz said:
Yes. Born and bred. But not Hillsborough (please!) - from central Sheffield nr Bramall Lane (Sheffield Utd :sad:)

Top Bottom