What 1x chainset to use with Deore RD-M6000-GS derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steeler

Über Member
So I have an unused Deore RD-M6000-GS 10 speed rear derailleur for use with a 11-42T cassette, see attached link;
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/deore-m6000/RD-M6000-GS.html

Shimano only made 2 and 3 speed M6000 chainsets but I'm wondering if I can use the derailleur with a single speed chainset for a flat bar gravel style build and if so, what size chainring would it work with.

Any thoughts/advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Ajax Bay

Guru

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Any chainring, with the correct BCD should work as a 1xdrive.
A narrow/wide chainring might be best for a 1x drive. These are reputed to stop chains from jumping off. I've been using one on my converted 1x10 drive without problems.
The chainring size will be personal, depending on terain and fitness. Need to get to grips with gear tables and own expereinces with hills. I'm using a 38t chainring, but the biggest sprocket is probably a 26t or 28t, certainly not a mega cassette. This "just" gets me up a 13% hill, but with a lot of huffing and puffing.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
With 1x systems they use a range of systems to prevent chains dropping off, normally a clutched rear derailleur, narrow wide chainring and narrow wide pulley wheel teeth.

So as above, a single speed or hub geared chainset will work, but they won't have the requisite narrow wide chainring in order to prevent chain drop. There are plenty of 1x chainset options out there and they don't necessarily have to be Shimano. Size wise it really depend on what you want, I have a 11 speed, 10 - 42 cassette on my bike and I run a 34 tooth chainring most of the time, though when I'm bikepacking I swap it out for a 28 tooth chainring.

Having said all the above, I'm also not sure if the derailleur you have, actually has a clutch either, so you may have problems with chain slap/dropped chains?

OP
OP
Steeler

Steeler

Über Member
Thanks for those quick responses!
First of all, yes it is a Shadow RD+ (clutched?) derailleur but unusually the Shimano link says that it's only compatible with an 11-42T cassette although as we know, you can usually push the recommended cassette limits a little but I'm thinking that it would work with a 1x 38T chainset and maybe with a 40T chainset.

Ajax Bay

Guru
RD doesn't care what 1x chainring you run. Its capacity could cope with a normal double (53-39) with a 11-36.
If you run a 1x and an 11-42t cassette, how much (more) do you want to push the limits? Surely a 26" gear (40t ring) is low enough for a "gravel" bike. If you need shorter, go for a 38t ring. Have a play around with the gearcalc link.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Surely a 26" gear (40t ring) is low enough for a "gravel

Depends really on the gravel you intend riding, I can't speak for the OP, but for the forest trails I ride, I find a 22" gear just about low enough for normal riding. When I'm bikepacking, then I need a 18" gear or I just find myself having far to much hike a bike.

OP
OP
Steeler

Steeler

Über Member
So the gear calculator chart really doesn't mean anything to me so I'll probably try a 40T chainset as there are plenty available from various manufacturers.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
So the gear calculator chart really doesn't mean anything to me so I'll probably try a 40T chainset as there are plenty available from various manufacturers.
Gear inches is an old way of measuring output, the inch part is related to Penny Farthings and the size of their wheels.

Essentially you don't need to worry about understanding it per se, what I would do is go to a site like this one:

https://www.bikecalc.com/gear_inches

I would take an existing bike you own and enjoy riding, then enter in the size of the teeth on your cassette and chainring. This would give you the range of inches you have at the moment, so for example if your small chainring is 36 teeth and the largest cog you have on your cassette is 34, then that gives you a low gear of 30 inches. So you know how this feels to ride and gives you a benchmark for when you input the theoretical values for your new 1x set up as a comparison.

One thing I would also advise, is whichever chainset you go for, I would look for one with a chainring that can be easily changed. I have a Race Face Aeffect chainset, which I can not only change the chainring quickly and easily, but, steel replacement rings are relatively cheap. So I run a 32 tooth ring for normal gravel/trail riding, then when I'm bikepacking I swap it out for a 28 tooth one.

Married to a 11 speed 10 - 42 cassette, the 32 tooth chainring gives me a range of 21 - 90 inches, which is perfect for the gravel trails I encounter daily. The smaller 28 tooth chainring gives me a range of 18 - 78 inches. The 18 inch gear means I can easily climb some real steep off-road climbs fully loaded, the trade of, is the 78 inch top gear means I am not that fast on smooth flat roads and end up spinning my legs at 32 kph at getting no more speed.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Galaxy frame . . rebuilding it with a loop bar and a mix of road & MTB gearing. At the moment I'm waiting for a Miche Graff 30/46 chainset to be delivered and have a Microshift 10 speed rear derailleur shifting through an 11-36 cassette.
"So the gear calculator chart really doesn't mean anything to me so I'll probably try a 40T chainset . . ."
Here's your gears with the 46-30 and the 11-36:
https://www.gear-calculator.com/?GR...28,32,36&UF=2215&TF=90&SL=2.6&UN=KMH&DV=teeth
Compare that range with what a 40t 1x would offer (same link as shared before):
https://www.gear-calculator.com/?GR...32,36,42&UF=2215&TF=90&SL=2.6&UN=KMH&DV=teeth

rivers

How far can I go?
Gear inches is an old way of measuring output, the inch part is related to Penny Farthings and the size of their wheels.

Essentially you don't need to worry about understanding it per se, what I would do is go to a site like this one:

https://www.bikecalc.com/gear_inches

I would take an existing bike you own and enjoy riding, then enter in the size of the teeth on your cassette and chainring. This would give you the range of inches you have at the moment, so for example if your small chainring is 36 teeth and the largest cog you have on your cassette is 34, then that gives you a low gear of 30 inches. So you know how this feels to ride and gives you a benchmark for when you input the theoretical values for your new 1x set up as a comparison.

One thing I would also advise, is whichever chainset you go for, I would look for one with a chainring that can be easily changed. I have a Race Face Aeffect chainset, which I can not only change the chainring quickly and easily, but, steel replacement rings are relatively cheap. So I run a 32 tooth ring for normal gravel/trail riding, then when I'm bikepacking I swap it out for a 28 tooth one.

Married to a 11 speed 10 - 42 cassette, the 32 tooth chainring gives me a range of 21 - 90 inches, which is perfect for the gravel trails I encounter daily. The smaller 28 tooth chainring gives me a range of 18 - 78 inches. The 18 inch gear means I can easily climb some real steep off-road climbs fully loaded, the trade of, is the 78 inch top gear means I am not that fast on smooth flat roads and end up spinning my legs at 32 kph at getting no more speed.

That's why I've gone 2x (or kept 2x). 46-30 with an 11-42 cassette. 19"-115" range.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
That's why I've gone 2x (or kept 2x). 46-30 with an 11-42 cassette. 19"-115" range.

It's definitely a strong argument for 2x and I can really understand why it's still really appealing over 1x.

Personally though, I really like a lot of aspects to 1x though and I think my ideal set up would be to convert my bike to 12 speed with the Ratio parts kit and run a 10 - 52 cassette. Paired to a 34 tooth cassette this would give me a 19" - 100" range, still not quite as good as your 2x set up, but it would suit me fine. Sadly I can't justify the cost though, so for the moment I'll keep swapping my chainrings to suit.

Ajax Bay

Guru
. . . enter in the size of the teeth on your cassette and chainring. This would give you the range of inches you have at the moment, so for example if your small chainring is 36 teeth and the largest cog you have on your cassette is 34, then that gives you a low gear of 30 inches.
In case people stumble on this later, please forgive me if I add into this that the diameter of the wheel is a necessary/vital part of this formula. 34/36 (in Chris' example above) = 1.06 ( a dimensionless ratio) and if the wheels are 700c road tyred (32mm) then their diameter is 27" so gear length in inches is 28.5" (I guess 30" is close enough for Chris) - see also moulton wheels, airnimal wheels, MTB 26" or 29" wheels etc.

Top Bottom