What a ride home!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On the way home travelling up through Sneinton I caught a glimpse of movement on the pavement through the windows of a parked transit van, so assuming a ped, I slow down a bit and move across into primary to give me an escape if they were silly enough to jump out in the road from behind the van.

Sure enough, a teenager runs out into the road, sees me and stops about a foot from my front wheel while I grab the brakes. My wheel made gentle contact with his leg as I come to a halt. 'Yo, whatchout man' says the four and half foot kid in school clothes who then skips across the other lane causing a car to brake hard. 'You watch out, before something kills you' I retort, while telling myself he was lucky I had glimpsed him and already slowed. Nonetheless, I was already trying to work out if I could have avoided it. No harm done I suppose, rather my tyre than a car bumper anyway. Might learn to look before jumping into the road in future.

A mile further on a see a bike in the distance, the chase is on...I made good ground and then the uphill slog up Porchester road hill began. I could see he only had a single cog at the rear and I assumed I nearly had him.

So wrong!
Although I got to within spitting distance, I had neither the breath or the legs to properly catch him, let alone pass him and warn him his left shoelace was dangling dangerously close to his rear wheel spokes every pedal revolution. Toe clips and straps made me assume SS rather than fixed, but either way - kudos to you if are reading this!
thumbsup.png

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Its always a good day when you spot a potential hazard and take precautionary action. And then it happens and the action pays off.

What did he / his bike look like? I might know him.

Black short spikey hair, big brown calves
whistling.gif
mid to late twenties at a guess - pale (not white) old skool steel framed bike with nice looking brake calipers.
Came from town up Carlton hill before turning up Porchester Road towards Mapperley. Baggy shorts, trainers and toe clips... I'd be proud to have caught a glimpse of his front!

Maybe there is something in this fixed\ss lark. Even in a hilly area. Pushed up the hill as fast as me and still managed 20+ on the flat.

Top Bottom