What are the biggest tyres I can fit on an old style touring bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billiobob

Veteran
What are the biggest tyres I can fit on my old style steel tourer? I have Schwalbe Marathon 700 x 25c on but find these inadequate on local potholed roads and a bit skittery on paths. Using the tape measure there seems to be at least 10mm clearance on each side for a 700 x 35c tyre such as the Schwalbe Landcruiser but would these be deeper as well? Also would they be robust enough?

My Bob Jackson tops out at 32mm + "guards. It can take a little wider without mudguards.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
How much room do you have around your current tyres? Any chance of a pic?
I've never hated myself enough to use Marathons but from what I've read from other users, they aren't the grippiest of tyres.
Any 32-35c road tyre should be good enough for UK roads and some light trail use. Scwalbe's Roadcruiser is a good cheap tyre.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As Michael says 32 would probably be max. I think others have said that's the same for a Galaxy.
They will be deeper too although that shouldn't be a problem with the longer wheelbase on a tourer. You need to check clearance at the top of the fork too.
Only real way of course is suck it and see.

Different tyre designs mean there so called size can vary a bit. Not all 700x28c tyres are created equal some may fit where as others won't. Also you get a mismatch sometimes with more clearance in the front than rear etc. So you could have a mini-mullet arrangement where you have a slightly bigger tyre on the front compared to the rear. Maybe 700x32 on the front and 700x28 on the rear etc. This might give you a little more grip and comfort at the front although might mean a few tweaks of saddle and handlebar angle.

OP
OP
B

billiobob

Veteran
437D2401-5683-4F62-8928-C21C36A8FD52.jpeg

Attachments

• A6EC1525-CE2B-438D-B4B9-4A7288866FBC.jpeg
    A6EC1525-CE2B-438D-B4B9-4A7288866FBC.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 1
OP
OP
B

billiobob

Veteran
Urgh! These close ups certainly show up the need for a clean! As requested Vantage, thanks to bonzobanana and Cycleops for your helpful feedback. Just to clarify my cycling is limited to short rides as much off road on paths as possible so that will influence my tread choice.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I would have thought you should be able to get 32s, maybe even a 35 in. But then there's the mudguard. As @iandg says the drop outs might give a bit more wiggle room.
Shame you don't live down here you could pick up a cheap 'home used' tyre to try.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Different tyre designs mean there so called size can vary a bit. Not all 700x28c tyres are created equal some may fit where as others won't. Also you get a mismatch sometimes with more clearance in the front than rear etc. So you could have a mini-mullet arrangement where you have a slightly bigger tyre on the front compared to the rear. Maybe 700x32 on the front and 700x28 on the rear etc. This might give you a little more grip and comfort at the front although might mean a few tweaks of saddle and handlebar angle.
Very much this. The pictures below are of two different tyres on the same Campagnolo Zonda wheel. The top is a 25mm Continental GP4000 while the bottom is a 28mm Vittoria Rubino Pro - note that the GP4000 is about 1mm wider and 0.4mm taller despite being sold as 3mm narrower
GP4000 25mm Rear (1).JPG

GP4000 25mm Rear (2).JPG

Vittoria Rubino Pro 28mm Rear (1).JPG

Vittoria Rubino Pro 28mm Rear (2).JPG

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
As Michael says 32 would probably be max. I think others have said that's the same for a Galaxy.
They will be deeper too although that shouldn't be a problem with the longer wheelbase on a tourer. You need to check clearance at the top of the fork too.
Only real way of course is suck it and see.

I have previously fitted 35mm tyres on a Galaxy. However not all 35mm tyres are the same width and it is possible that there is variation between Galaxy frames.

Top Bottom