What are these?! Im in love!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shadaboot27

Can anyone tell me what these are?! I am in LOVE and must have one! I know they are Humbers, and most likely 50's but not sure what model? I did think clipper but I don't think clippers had the duplex forks?

Attachments

• 3503370393_e35066468e_z.jpg
    3503370393_e35066468e_z.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 157
  • 4929293612_3f35ffe901_z.jpg
    4929293612_3f35ffe901_z.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 153

Daddybus

Über Member
^Like the orange one...! What's the idea behind the double forks?

rhm

There was a guy on bikeforums.net (user gbalke) that bought one of those a few years ago and did a spiffy restoration. He made it into a 'clubman' type bike, but I believe the frame had started out as a Humber Sports.

Raleigh had a model called the Trent Sports that was basically your garden variety Raleigh Sports but with drop bar and a couple other minor changes to make it look more like a 'clubman' type machine. I imagine Humber had a similar model; perhaps that's what these are?

I'm sure someone argued that the fancy double tube fork gave the bike a more resilient, springy ride (a similar claim was made about Bates diadrant forks). I can only speculate.

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

[QUOTE
Raleigh had a model called the Trent Sports that was basically your garden variety Raleigh Sports but with drop bar and a couple other minor changes to make it look more like a 'clubman' type machine. I imagine Humber had a similar model; perhaps that's what these are?
[/QUOTE]

I think you might be right. The Trent Sports and the Ulster Sports (Rudge version) both had the typical Raleigh/Rudge logo cranks, but flutted (groove down the middle). The bikes I pictured have the same but with the humber design. The Ulster Sports is very rare so I'd imagine that the humber version is even more hard to find. That would explain why I have never seen one for sale.

Top Bottom