What are they called?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The hanger on my bike snapped and I need to order some new parts.

What are these called?

Attachments

• 20180612_054014.jpg
    20180612_054014.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 50
I can't quite make out the photo: Jockey wheels?

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Its an Ultegra Di2 rear mech and the whole unit would cost about £200 without getting it rewired by my LBS.

I am sure I can get the parts I need seperately. There is only one bent and I can straighten it out. I am just being picky.

Last edited:
Its an Ultegra Di2 rear mech and the whole unit would cost about £200 without getting it rewired by my LBS.

I am sure I can get the parts I need seperately. There is only one bent and I can straighten it out. I am just being picky.
So . It was the hanger which broke causing the mech to get tangled up in the chain ?
It looks like you can get the bent part separately at a relatively low price but it also looks as though it hasn't bent beyond your capabilities.
If it was mine I would straighten it out and test it on a few short rides . If it survives and works then it should be fine.
Most of the loading should be taken on the top run of the chain and the idlers guide the chain onto the cogs.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
So . It was the hanger which broke causing the mech to get tangled up in the chain ?
It looks like you can get the bent part separately at a relatively low price but it also looks as though it hasn't bent beyond your capabilities.
If it was mine I would straighten it out and test it on a few short rides . If it survives and works then it should be fine.
Most of the loading should be taken on the top run of the chain and the idlers guide the chain onto the cogs.
Yes that is what happened.

I have spoken to Koga and have ordered 2 hangers . 1 for spare and the two bent bits. My bike is due a service and so this is a good chance to give it a good clean while I am waiting for the parts. Then my LBS can put it all back together.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Knackered. :whistle:
OH Ye of little faith.

When I was pushing the bike home 4km at 5am, Knackered was not the word I thought of. More "Temporarily disabled".

It could have been a lot worse. I could have been wearing road bike shoes instead of MTB shoes. I could have been 9km away from home, which would also make me 9km from work.

It reminded me not to be lazy. I had intended to buy a spare hanger months ago, but never bothered. It also reminded me to find a list of bike shops on the Tuscany road route as I will be riding it in September.

So even though it was a temporary glitch. It could have been far worse.

Top Bottom