"What Bike" advice for the clueless please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PDF1978

Hi all,

I am new here and would like some advice on what type of bike should I be looking for. Maybe even a recomendation would really help.

My company operates the cycle to work scheme (the Halfords one) and I am thinking of entering into it but the shear amount of bikes is worrying me. I have no idea what type of bike would be best never mind what made or model. So any advice is greatly.

What I have now and what I need a bike for.

I currently have an Apollo 2600 MTB given to me by my Father in Law
I cycle to work and back and its a 10 mile round trip along country roads. (takes me about 26 mins to cover the 5 miles)
I cycle all year round in all weathers.
I have been cycling to work for the last 7 months

My problem is do i stick with a MTB for use in all weathers or go for a road bike to make the journey quicker and easier and what are hybrid and commuter bikes and are they any good?

I would like to keep the overall cost to below £600 with lights etc if its possible to do so but do not want to end up with what some sites seem to call a bike shaped object.

Sorry about this I am totally clueless.

Thanks in advance

Paul

vickster

Legendary Member
With a £600 budget at Halfords, assuming you want something a bit more rugged than a drop bar roadbike, you could look at this which is on special at the mo :smile: Boardman bikes have a very good rep, even if the Halfords mechanics can be a bit ropey :smile:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_875969_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

Or with disk brakes for better stopping in the wet

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_777843_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

These should take mudgaurds to keep your bum dry and a rack to stop your back getting sweaty with a rucksack

Giuseppe

I commute with a Specialized Sirrus. An Aluminum frame Hybrid with a carbon fork, and have been happy with it. It's more upright than a road bike but lighter and faster than a mountain bike. I have done 50 mile weekend rides with it without any issues and I am not a strong rider. It retails for about $900 in the US, and can be fitted with mudguards and a rack.

Kies

A fast road hybrid such as the Specialized sirrus or Giant rapid would suit your needs very well.they are in essence a road bike frame with flat handlebars. The other option is a proper road bike with dropped handlebars. Either type can be had for £600 inc lights.
Check it has eyelets for a rear rack (unless you wear a rucksack) and clearance for winter mudguards.

If you commute all year round,then the hybrid would be my choice. Allows better tyre combinations for icy weather. If you stick to 700 x 28c/32c tyres, you won't be much slower than a road bike (in commuting terms)

I have one of each. Commuter is a sirrus,but weekend rides are on a road bike :-)

Top Bottom