What bike for beginner, eventually wanting to do 50 miles a day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
I

idontlikecoffee

Why would you want to vandalise a £1000 bike :ohmy: spend £800 on a good bike and £200 on a commuter clunker! Seems mad doing the other :ohmy: You'll also destroy any resale value and any bike will potentially be stolen regardless of what it looks like

Decent locks are no guarantee and if left out in all weathers they will eventually be affected by rust. Insurance, home policy cheapest but check conditions, excess etc

I don't consider altering a bikes cosmetic appearance vandalising it, I'm more interested in functionality than looks. I don't care about resale value, i'm too sentimental to sell my bikes, i still have my first mountain bike which is over 25 years old, i don't ride it often now, but i can't part with it.

Photography is my other hobby and I always paint out the branding of the cameras, to make them less attractive to thieves, so I'm not a stranger to defacing something, as long as it does not effect functionality.

I will research insurance, hopefully it won't be too prohibitive

vickster

Legendary Member
You don't need to spend £1000 on a bike then, half that will buy something perfectly functional, less if second hand

Unfortunately having a bike that isn't shiny won't stop it being stolen, stripped for parts etc. the components separately on a good bike could be worth as much if not more as a whole bike, they are also untraceable

Last edited:

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
thing is you don't lock your cameras up and leave them for 8 hours each day

a bike thief will recognise the frame, components, hubs and wheels as 'expensive'

anyway.......best wishes.....I don't think i am/were capable of a 50mile commute....^_^

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
crossed.....:rolleyes:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I don't consider altering a bikes cosmetic appearance vandalising it, I'm more interested in functionality than looks. I don't care about resale value, i'm too sentimental to sell my bikes, i still have my first mountain bike which is over 25 years old, i don't ride it often now, but i can't part with it.

Photography is my other hobby and I always paint out the branding of the cameras, to make them less attractive to thieves, so I'm not a stranger to defacing something, as long as it does not effect functionality.

I will research insurance, hopefully it won't be too prohibitive
Bits of gaffer tape (frayed) on the frame and a plastic bag over the seat when parked/locked helps

Kins

Über Member
If your quite small, loads of deals to be done on last years or older even models. 5 ft 4 is about size 50cm bike

Harder to find second hand smaller bikes but a good lighter steel or alu frame with eyelets and rackmounts would be fine for commuting. Loads around the £600-700 mark with a quick google.

OP
OP
I

idontlikecoffee

Thanks for the replies, I'm sure i could get away with a cheaper bike (and it might be more suitable), but i paid my mortgage off recently so i want treat myself to a nice road bike, i have about £1200 saved.

On my day off work i'm going to go to Sheffield to visit Planet X, as well as JE James again, I've aways bought last years models MTBs to get reductions and if i don't get a bike from Planet X thats what i will do this time.

Saluki

World class procrastinator

vickster

Legendary Member
I just don't get on with shimano hoods, now a SRAM girl!

OP
OP
I

idontlikecoffee

Thanks for your replies everyone, they have been very helpful.

Yesterday i went out and bought a bike, I went to JE James, Evans and Planet X in Sheffield and ended up going with a Planet X Pro Carbon Shimano Ultergra 6800, the guys in the shop were really helpful, changing over components to get the best fit and position, I did not expect that being on road bike would be so different to a mountain bike, it seemed very strange, but i'm sure i'll get used to it.

I'm not sure if this bike will be the one i end up using to go to work with, but i'm sure it will help me get to the level of fitness i need to attempt it.

All i need to get now is a Garmin Edge 200 and some pedals.

Only downside, having to wait 22 days before i get the bike.

Top Bottom