What bike is good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

Biker2772

What bike brand is the best?

Midsrider

This is where you will get loads of answers!

But if you are looking for brands then: Cannondale, Trek, Whyte, Giant, Specialized, Cube are a few of the popular brands.

I did find after buying 3 bikes in 4 weeks for our family that the price of used bikes of what we wanted was not far off what the new prices are as used prices are pretty high still.......if your on a budget maybe look Decathlon BTwin range, they do some great bikes too.

Might be worth posting what type of bike, or style of riding and budget - the users on here will give a good detailed answer then.

Good luck !

vickster

Legendary Member
I wanted to know what second bike should I get.
What do you have at the moment?
What sort of bike do you want? For what uses?
Budget?
Availability is very sketchy at the moment so you may need to cast your net wise and be prepared to compromise on brand, spec, budget :smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You cannot say which brand is best as many are made by a small number of manufacturers. Giant are the largest maker of bikes and also make a number of other brands. All you can do is look at finish, specs, warranty etc and choose on that basis.
Some claim to be German, Italian or whatever but are mostly assembled in the claimed country from parts made in the Far East.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

What's your buying criteria? Engineering refinement, weight, appearance, paint finish, frame material, availability, price?
Any bike that is sufficiently well made to be functional and reliable is potentially a good bike. There aren't really just good brands and bad ones, but there are cheap brands and expensive ones. Even within brands there are good and bad. I have a perfectly reliable Apollo MTB sold by Halfords that is at least 25 if not 30 years old. It didn't even cost me anything to acquire. I must have done well over a thousand miles on it without doing anything apart from oiling it and replacing one tyre. Yet there are other bikes sold by Apollo that I wouldn't touch with a bargepole, namely the ones with suspension.
Choosing bikes is a question of weeding out the junk, then deciding exactly what your individual requirements are.
Branding is largely irrelevant now with globalised mass production. It only matters if you specifically want a bike built in a certain country and is mostly now confined to vintage steel machinery. Modern bikes are essentially commodities like domestic appliances.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It would be easier to ask what bike is bad? Avoid low-priced unbranded bikes, you will be lucky to get one season out of them. A second hand branded bike will cost the same and last a lot longer.

Richard's Bicycle Book back in the 70's and early 80's gave exactly that advice; if you have less than X amount to spend, buy a better quality bike secondhand rather than a junk quality new one.

Top Bottom