What bike light??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackSwan83

Hi All,
Just wanted to ask some of you experts on here before jumping in and buying a front bike light.
So far im almost settled these Cateye Nano ones but didnt know your opinion.
I will prob want to use it mainly for guneral comunting but also i would like the option to cycle through woodland in the dark etc.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cateye-Nano...F8&qid=1389108972&sr=8-2&keywords=cateye+nano

OR

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cateye-Nano...id=1389084324&sr=8-1&keywords=cateye+nanoshot

Thanks for your feedback :smile:

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
  • A light used for commuting is a light to enable you to be seen.
  • A light used for cycling through woodland trails in the dark is a light to see with.
Both these types of light are vastly different in requirements, the Cateye nano is a reasonable commuting light but its lacking as a trail light imho.

Rustybucket

Veteran
I have 2 of the nano shot plus lights & 1 of the nano shot singles.

The Nano shot plus are worth the extra money, I would go for one of them - The Exposure lights are also very good & worth a look.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
To see in an unlit park on my commute I use this Cat-Eye, supplemented by a cheap helmet light.
Much nicer looking than them Cree lights.
Batteries (I use rechargeable) last for about 4 hours. It has only one setting, gives a wide beam if pointed slightly to the ground. Very robust, survived being dropped a couple of times. Deluge proof. Robust mounting bracket, easy moved from bike to bike - use a bit of old inner tube as a liner for extra grip.
Actually, at this price I'm away to buy another one, because last year I paid £40.00 without batteries :hyper:

Edited to add link

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Those Cat-eyes are quite heavy for that mount, so beware there have been mount failures !

Depends what you want. Cateye are over priced for the output. If you want quality, and are prepared to stretch the budget, then any of the Exposure lights. Moon or the Hope Vision 1. There are some great deals on Moon lights at the moment.

If you want power/bang for buck, then the chinese lights. Look at the T6 light thread. Once or two points to be aware of, you need to run these at lower settings on road and angle down as they are seriously bright, and the batteries can be pants. That said, it's easy to source a quality battery set (again all in the T6 thread). There are a huge choice of these powerful lights, from very tiny units, to bigger ones. I personally wouldn't recommend any of the lights with more than 2 LED's built in - it's just not needed ! The Solarstorm x2 is very popular at the moment.

Jody

Stubborn git
If you want power/bang for buck, then the chinese lights.......... The Solarstorm x2 is very popular at the moment.

Agree with Fossyant about the Chinese lights. I was wondering about output/build quality for the money but the one I bought was spot on. Low setting was very bright even for lit roads and is enough to ride on unlit road. Lights on full are astounding and way to bright for road use.

I have the X2 which you can now pick up for just over £20

mark william

the lezyne macro drive front lights are pretty good. they are 350 lumens and are usb rechargeable. they are also really high quality. you can also get some pretty good deals to i bought mine for £42.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom