What bike... sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
From my own secondhand purchase experience, a lot of bikes that could be 25 or 30 years old, may have only ever covered a relatively low mileage in all that time and can still be found in excellent mechanical & cosmetic condition on the used market. Many bikes are bought new with all the usual good intentions of getting fit, losing weight etc, but the novelty wears off long before the bike actually sees any significant amount of use. Those cyclists on here who report riding several thousand miles a year on their bike and who wear out chains and freewheels regularly are about as far removed from an "average" cyclist as it is possible to get. Many owners will only ride their bike infrequently, only ever in good weather, only on short undemanding rides, and may only cover a few tens of miles a year. They are never going to wear a bike out to the point of it becoming a mechanical wreck no matter how many years they own it.
Although buying blind always carries a degree of risk, this can be mitigated by a careful assessment of the seller's description and pictures and by not overpaying, thereby leaving some spare cash in the purchase pot. The only significant maintenance spend I have ever made on used bikes is tyre replacements, and then mainly for increased puncture protection for longer rides. I have a whole pile of ratty looking old tyres that came with used bikes that I am gradually wearing out on local hack use where I am not going far away from home. If I was prepared to take greater risks with punctures I could have probably avoided most of my tyre replacements too, although there comes a point at which the inconvenience of tyre problems outweighs the benefit of saving cash spend.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mike.chandler

Hi all, so I went to Chain Reaction today and have bought this https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...7-5-hardtail-mountain-bike-2019/rp-prod181532. The fella was really helpful and said I might need to look at a spare set of wheels for road use but this will give me the best of both worlds whilst I’m getting into biking. This thread has been really helpful with all the advice, I looked at some second hand ones on eBay and FB but thought rather than spend £250-300 on there, i would be better spending the extra to make sure I am not buying a lemon. Hopefully picking it up this week and then I’ll be able to get cracking. Thanks again everybody

vickster

Legendary Member
If you wanted a bike for road, why buy a mountain bike? No need for different wheels if it's what you want though, you can get slick tyres. Just swap between

SnoopyCycles

Regular
Congratulations! The bike looks lovely. I hope you really like getting out cycling. It really lifts the spirits and helps lose/maintain weight with a healthy diet. I can see from my Fitbit I’m far more active with it than I was before. Enjoy!

OP
OP
M

mike.chandler

If you wanted a bike for road, why buy a mountain bike? No need for different wheels if it's what you want though, you can get slick tyres. Just swap between

I think I’ll be doing more urban riding that road tbh and it’s a lovely bike, narrower tyres and it’s not far off a hybrid apparently. It was a decent price as well and should suit better than some of the others I looked at.

OP
OP
M

mike.chandler

Congratulations! The bike looks lovely. I hope you really like getting out cycling. It really lifts the spirits and helps lose/maintain weight with a healthy diet. I can see from my Fitbit I’m far more active with it than I was before. Enjoy!

Excellent! Can’t wait to get it and get going next week with it!

tom73

Guru
Nice one :okay: If you like it , it fits and will put a smile on your face then go for it.
Enjoy the fun be warned though once it’s got you no going back ;)
Just remember to post some pics of it out in the wild.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The weight specs of the modern stuff makes interesting reading. They are, if anything, slightly heavier than a decent spec butted steel framed bike from the 80's or early 90s!

Top Bottom