What bike would be the best for a max price of £200(UK)?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

siege

Would any of these bikes last for a few years(at least 2)

Tiger Vulture FS Mens Hardtail Mountain Bike, 26" Wheel​

Freespirit Tread Mens Alloy Mountain Bike, 18 Speed, 27.5" Wheel​

Coyote Zodiac Mens Mountain Bike - 27.5" Wheel, 21 Speed​

Tiger Hazard Mens Mountain Bike MTB, Red - 26" Wheels, 18 Speed​

Coyote Neutron AFS Mens Mountain Bike - 26" Wheel, 21 Speed​

vickster

Legendary Member
You’d be better off looking for a second hand, well maintained Carrera Subway, pretty bombproof but will still need maintenance and consumable parts replacing as needed.
Avoid anything at that price point with suspension, it’ll be rubbish and heavy and unnecessary for roads/light off road (if you’re doing proper mountain biking you’ll need rather better)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You haven't posted any links so we don't know what the specs are but I Googled one MTB and it weighed 20 kg. That's a lot of weight to push up a hill. The components are likely to be poor. If you're buying on the internet it may come poorly set up and then you have the hassle trying to sort it.
You're better off finding a good used bike from one of the bigger manufacturers for that budget and riding it beforehand.

OP
OP
S

siege

You’d be better off looking for a second hand, well maintained Carrera Subway, pretty bombproof but will still need maintenance and consumable parts replacing as needed.
Avoid anything at that price point with suspension, it’ll be rubbish and heavy and unnecessary for roads/light off road (if you’re doing proper mountain biking you’ll need rather better)

I want to use it for casual riding in the city and sometimes parks(I don't actually need one for rough surfaces)

OP
OP
S

siege

I want to use it for casual riding in the city and sometimes parks(I don't actually need one for rough surfaces)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
In which case you don't really need a gravel bike, so the world is your oyster. :smile:

Any basic hybrid with rigid forks should do, TBH. For your budget, you're far better off looking at a secondhand bike rather than something new as you'll get more bang-for-buck. Forget the suspension, you genuinely won't need it - that's what the tyres and your knees are for.

If you want to make the most of your money, then look for something like a Raleigh Pioneer. They may be old and they may be made of steel, but they'll be a damn sight better to ride than a bargain basement MTB. Just swap out the knobbly tyres for semi-slicks like Schwalbe Road Cruisers and you'll be sorted.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone

Second this. I used to have a Carrera Subway and it was a brilliant bike.

Top Bottom