What Bike ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cocheese

I will be touring for 5 days in France in September. I have never done a tour before and need some advice on the bike choice. I have a straight road race bike which is a Trek Madone, I also have at my disposal a 5 year old Carrera Subway 2. The Carrera has lugs on the rear stays and forks for panniers to carry any kit, the Madone doesnt and I will have to carry averything in a back pack.

Obviously on the Trek I would be staying in YH and pensions etc which I am not keen on as I would prefer the freedom of camping. I am really after some advice on would the carrera be suitable with some modest upgrades or in your experinces the Trek would be a better choice.

Many thanks

Pdstubbs

Regular
If you want to take camping gear you'll need panniers and strong wheels

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
go with a nice comfy bike that has the option of fitting racks and gaurds ............

ps got a nice Roy Thame tourer that would be ideal

doog

I will be touring for 5 days in France in September. I have never done a tour before and need some advice on the bike choice. I have a straight road race bike which is a Trek Madone, I also have at my disposal a 5 year old Carrera Subway 2. The Carrera has lugs on the rear stays and forks for panniers to carry any kit, the Madone doesnt and I will have to carry averything in a back pack.

Obviously on the Trek I would be staying in YH and pensions etc which I am not keen on as I would prefer the freedom of camping. I am really after some advice on would the carrera be suitable with some modest upgrades or in your experinces the Trek would be a better choice.

Many thanks

The Carrera subway is apparently a decent touring frame and I have read of a few people who have made tourers out of them . You may want to upgrade the rear wheel as stated, something with 36 spokes, decent rim and handmade if you can. Plenty of choice around and wont cost the earth.

A back pack would be totally unsuitable, however there are other lightweight options for the road bike if you took that , have a read of this :

http://ultralightcycling.blogspot.co.uk/

OP
OP
C

Cocheese

Excellant advice Doog and great link too very very usefull. I think i will start tomorrow by stripping the Carrerra down and taking an audit of the condition of the parts. :cheers:

Top Bottom