What chain do I need

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anton

Hi everyone,
Need a little advice about replacing the chain on my hack bike. Just measured it with a chain checker tool and it is showing 100% worn. Looking at the description on one of the links it shows Sram pc 870 looking on the wiggle website there is a Sram pc 951 9 speed chain. My bike is a 10 speed with a rear cassette 13/23.

I was hoping to buy one and change it myself but don't want to order the wrong one.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You must use a ten-speed chain, a nine will be too wide and foul on the sprockets. Any 10 speed from SRAM or KMC will do fine. Mavic have a good reputation too.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Anton.... when you say it's 10 speed, do you mean 10 gears total (2 front rings, five sprockets at back) or 10 speed cassette at the rear ?

10 speed cassette needs 10 speed chain as SJ says.

What used to be called a "10 speed" back when I was a nipper, you can use any 3/32" chain. Look for the cheapest KMC 6/7/8 speed you can find, I don't think they do "5 speed" any more.

KMC is definitely top choice, prices are generally low, and their quick links are easier to use than SRAM.

montage

God Almighty
Shimano works with sram doesn't it?

If that is so, pop onto ebay, search "ultegra chain" and pick one up for £20ish - a lot of ebay shops do these at this price - make sure they are new chains though! A good price for a £40+ chain, I have one and can vouch it is genuine

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
- and the PC-870 is £15 from CRC, (and available for a just a little less elsewhere - try Google shopping), if you want to replace with the same, but I would probably get a KMC one.

adscrim

Veteran
youngoldbloke said:
- and the PC-870 is £15 from CRC, (and available for a just a little less elsewhere - try Google shopping), if you want to replace with the same, but I would probably get a KMC one.

+1 on the KMC chains, I'm very pleased after switching from shimano. Also, they come with the 'missing link' (think sram power link). Excellent and good value.

OP
OP
A

Anton

Thanks for all your help everyone I am now sorted got a chain from LBS £13.
Doctor you can tell I am a novice just found out it is a seven speed cassette (14 in total) glad about that at least it means I am working hard in the winter.

Thanks again

Top Bottom