What do I buy...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
...for my 1st meeting with the 2 year old son of a dear friend?

Must be small and packable and readily available (retail) as well as not costing enough to cause embarrassment.

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
A kitten

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
What about a car (the small handheld variety) or if you have any knowledge they have a wooden train set then a train for it (especially if you get a character one such as one from the Thomas the Tank engine set). I can't remember whether at that age mine could control a basic battery powered car. The place to go is ELC as they will have some age guidelines too. Don't get something they can't play with immediately - they can get bored with getting a new pressy that can't be played with until there is an adult there, with overalls and flat space etc (learnt that one giving a painting set to a niece at Christmas at Granny's - I'm sure it was used afterwards but it was boring in comparison to those presents that could be played with immediately.

If you want something to do with them... then I always liked Playdoh.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Put 20 pounds in a building society account, and let the kid play with the book

Arch

Married to Night Train
My nephew at that age was delighted with pretty much anything with wheels on - train, car, aeroplane. The ELC do have some nice chunky ones that come in sets (race cars, construction vehicles, emergency vehicles, etc), and they have smiley faces, and join together with magnets like a train. At 2, Oli had worked out about the polarity of the magnet needing to be right for them to stick together. Might not be a small enough package though. I don't think they sell them singly.

Or if they already have the generic wooden train stuff (Brio, or own brand, they are usually interchangeable), a new loco always goes down well. Bigjigs is the main generic brand, and much cheaper than Brio - but it does depend on them having a set already, unless you are prepared to buy a starter set. I think they can be found in many toy shops, as well as online.

http://www.bigjigstoys.co.uk/bigjigs-rail-wooden-railway.html

I think even Tesco have own brand sets, pretty cheap.

Basically, it needs to be playable with instantly, as summerdays says.

Depending on the child, story books are a good back up. Oli often takes to a new book, but later, once the exciting present has been played with, or at bedtime. So something for him to play with, and a nice storybook to give to Mum or Dad to produce later.

If you can get any clue about what his current craze is, that might help. A cheap plastic dinosaur might turn out to be worth a thousand expensive trains.

And I don't know how much time you have to look, or how you feel about the idea, but charity shops can be a good source of cheap pressies. At that age, quantity matters far more than price!

Top Bottom