What do you like/dislike about sportives?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
I have never ridden a sportive, I have done charity events that have had a lot of riders & enjoyed them, the cost of some sportives puts me off, although the prices are not as extortionate as some running events have become, they are going in that direction, road running events used to be reasonable, the price keeps creeping up, I see the same trend with sportives, Audax, MTBO & Fell Running keep their prices reasonable so get my vote over Sportives & Road Running.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23692

I've ever ridden in a sportive as I really can't see the point of paying to ride on public highways. It's something I can do for free any other time.... and wanting to ride a route just because a few hundred strangers are doing so, just bemuses me.

U

User482

That's why I hate them.

They're not all the same. I rode one earlier this year (Le Terrier) which was organised by Lancaster CC and profits went to charity. It was a fabulous event, run by enthusiastic volunteers, in beautiful countryside. The laid back atmosphere and small number of entrants made it a completely different experience to some of the big commercial events.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
They're not all the same. I rode one earlier this year (Le Terrier) which was organised by Lancaster CC and profits went to charity. It was a fabulous event, run by enthusiastic volunteers, in beautiful countryside. The laid back atmosphere and small number of entrants made it a completely different experience to some of the big commercial events.

The best sportive I ever did (Kingston Lacy Sportive) had no set start time other than you could start any time you liked between 8am and 12am, it was a 50mile course and it seemed like hardly anyone was there, just a really pleasant pootle around Dorset, and they even had cheese sandwiches and tea at the feed station after climbing up Zigzag Hill. At no point did it ever feel like a race.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Sounds grand, and completely unlike like the few I've done. But what of the etiquette during the ride?;)

U

User482

Sounds grand, and completely unlike like the few I've done. But what of the etiquette during the ride?;)

It was good, but I was riding mostly with local club members. In contrast, some of the riding in the bigger sportives I've done has been dreadful.

DTD

Veteran
Signed event is essential for me – no GPS and a crap sense of direction. Mind you I'm happy to pay £15 to £20 for a few frills – only the price of a cheapish meal out.
Oh I now do have a GPS – but am still crap at navigating and get lost just as much.

Julia9054

Guru
Did my first Sportive - Otley - on Saturday. Although its not something I'd like to do every weekend, I enjoyed it and thought it was good value for money. I paid £12 and got free parking in Otley all day, someone else to plan a route for me - a more challenging one that I would plan for myself - map and signs, as much tea and cake as I could eat at the end and . . . a little bag with a couple of gels and tyre levers in it!
I liked riding with other people but without feeling the need to go at someone else's pace as I would if I joined a club and went on organised rides.
Would just like my knees to stop aching now!

Top Bottom