What do you think to this bike? Specialized Tricross Singlecross 2009 Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Single speed used a lot by cycle courriers, low maintenance, lightweight, quick.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
bigfella said:
Yeah I'm just throwing out ideas for a commuter/road bike.

It's fine provided that you are fit and light enough to take on the hills.

I quickly discovered that single speed was not for me and I've just about finished reverse engineering the single speed bike that I bought s/h back into a geared bike. I got no satisfaction from grinding up hills.

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
It is quite flat, but there are some smallish hills so perhaps not such a good idea. Bit stuck really on what bike I should be looking at.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
The Spesh Tricross bikes often pop up on this forum as a "one bike to do all" - it can do off-road, on-road, take mudguards and a rack, handle the winter, commute, do some light touring and is, apparently, reasonably comfortable. You can also race cyclo-cross :smile:

Of course, it might mean that it isn't particularly great at any of them (save the cyclocross, for which it is designed :sad:). I have a friend who rode Edinburgh to John o' Groats on one last year and he says it was fine.

Singlespeed is, of course, another matter, about which I know little - other than I would love to try it :smile:

Bit stuck really on what bike I should be looking at.
Budget, budget, budget :biggrin:, read the My Advice to Newbies thread and see if that helps.

let us know how you get on :smile:

Tynan

Veteran
I usually enjoy watching chaps on ss, but they invariably top out at 20mph and of course have to get stuck into hills, you beat them or end up struggling

been tempted but I do like always having the right gear for every situation

SheilaH

Pearsons were selling last years model for £275, which is a steal. At £488 it isnt such a good deal.

I've looked at one and would say frame is good, wheels and cranks a bit whiffy, but the other bits all look sturdy if basic.

An alternative would be a Pompino from On-one/ planet-x

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
Its really tricky as not many manufacturers make the larger sizes. Cannondale do, I could look at some of their road bikes but they are quite expensive.

This keeps popping up, I quite like it.

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/urban/soho/soho/

jimboalee

bigfella said:
Its really tricky as not many manufacturers make the larger sizes. Cannondale do, I could look at some of their road bikes but they are quite expensive.

This keeps popping up, I quite like it.

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/urban/soho/soho/

Many questions and comments.

Q1. How long do the belts last?
Q2. Are there rear sprockets in larger sizes?
Q3. Are the belts available in different lengths if larger sprockets are available?
Q4. Crank ring sizes?
Q5. Is it Nexus 8?

If the answers to Q2 and Q3 are NO and NO, you are stuck with the 8 gears as-is. No re-gearing for really steep hills.

Nexus roller brakes are BLOODY BRILL !!

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
Q1. How long do the belts last? - 3 times as long as the average chain
Q2. Are there rear sprockets in larger sizes? - Not sure
Q3. Are the belts available in different lengths if larger sprockets are available? - Again, not sure. Might be worth some research if it were possible and would need some shopping around.
Q4. Crank ring sizes? 55T
Q5. Is it Nexus 8? No it is Alfine - not sure on the differences.

More on the ratio's here:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/shimano-nexus.html

With regards to hills, its for commuting into London so its quite flat. Brakes are actually Shimano IM50 but hopefully as good as the Nexus's.

They do it in a 25", which is nice.

Top Bottom