What Does it Take to Get 7 years for Killing Someone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
It takes hitting someone with a car whilst never having held a UK license and being off your tits on booze and crack, apparently.

The court heard that Filgate, who had never held a licence or passed a test, was up to three times over the drink-drive limit and had taken crack cocaine.
According to the Southern Daily Echo, Filgate was doing at least 40mph in a 30mph limit as he drove a Peugeot with six passengers to a nightclub. He lost control of the car as he overtook a taxi in the face of an oncoming vehicle, which he missed by about 18 inches.

He over-corrected, skidded and smashed into the bridge wall before rebounding across the road to hit two cyclists.

Killed one cyclist, put another in a wheelchair for 5 months - that gentleman still can't walk without sticks.

7 years hardly seems enough, to say the least.

(Story from road.cc)

BUT he is also banned from driving................... so that's alright then?

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I've posted something along these lines elsewhere but it bears repeating.

When I was learning to drive, at my first lesson, my Father said to me that I was starting to learn how to handle probably the most dangerous weapon I would ever be licensed to use.

I have never forgotten that (and passed it on to my own daughter a month ago :becool:). The most important point is that a car is a weapon, which must be controlled responsibly; it has become accepted as a 'convenient form of personal transport' - all nice and safe. If used incorrectly, then, just like a gun/knife etc, it will kill - and the law should reflect this.

I would love to see changes in the law of the land to reflect the "dangerous weapon" aspect of motor vehicles.

Tynan

Veteran
why?

what was he charged with and what's the setence for that?

'causing death by dangerous driving and causing death when not having a driving licence and insurance.'

given manslaughter is about 10 years, 7 seems about right, 7 years prison is a hefty whack

Amanda P

Legendary Member
scoosh said:
If used incorrectly, then, just like a gun/knife etc, it [a car] will kill - and the law should reflect this.

Couldn't agree more. We make people get training and pass a test to demonstrate that they can handle a vehicle safely.

Then, when they demonstrate that they cannot handle it safely by causing an accident, we let them off with a slap on the wrist.

If I killed or injured someone with a shotgun, how likely is it that I would ever be allowed to own or use one ever again?

And yet lifetime driving bans for driving offences are very rare.

Top Bottom