what gloves?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ribbleboy

Hello all , im looking for a good pair of winter gloves that are going to keep my hands warm and also waterproof preferably. Does anybody have any recommendations? Im fed up of cold and damp hands on my commute already and the weathers not that bad yet :-) thanks in advance!

mattobrien

Guru
I have some Gore gloves that are very warm and claim to be waterproof. They are a little bulky though and expensive with an RRP of around £70, they can be found cheaper though.

I can't really wear them much above five degrees as they are too warm, you did want warm didn't you?

If I were buying again, I would get some Castelli Estremo as they appear less bulky and will probably give a more usable temperature range. Not sure how water proof they are but I don't want to ride in the rain at less than five degrees, cold and wet springs to mind. Waterproof can sometimes be a little less insulated / worn during warmer conditions due to this.

That's my two pence worth anyway.

U

User33236

Following getting pins and needles in my little fingers a week ago I bought some a Endura Nemos at the weekend. So far so good this week, even on Monday when it poured down during my morning commute.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sealskinz all weather, need to make sure wrists well sealed to avoid watery ingress...silk liner may help with warmth

musa

Über Member
as good as the sealskins all weathers are theyuseless in the cold (well for me)
get the castelli chiro glove, they've been good for me so far still cold but not iceblock fingers

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Get some ski gloves. Lidl do ones for either £5 or £6 a pair. They are warm but not entirely waterproof. If you want to spend more and stay both warm and waterproof, ski gloves are way better than winter cycling gloves at any price level.

gbs

Guru
Generally Gore gloves are v comfortable and warm and VFM. However beware of the MTB glove ( the design with rubber gel on the palms); insufficiently robust in my view in that the stitching needs repair after a dozen or so rides. This is rather technical job and I am not getting any effective help from Gore re repairs.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i chose a pr of Sinner " everest" ski gloves a couple of weeks ago and put them away for a christmas pressie , well today was my first ride with them on and ok it wasnt freezing but it was chilly enough , hands were lovely & warm with good grip and nice and flexiable

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I use these on my bike and motorbike. They are 100% waterproof but don't make your hands sweat. I have a pair of ski gloves under them and my hands stay warm in all weather. I have tried all sorts of winter gloves over the years with varying degrees of success but lots of failures. These over mitts are by far the best. I usually don't buy cheap but these are cheap and brilliant.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-a...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item27cb053dc6

Steve

JamesTaylor02

Sealskinz all weather, need to make sure wrists well sealed to avoid watery ingress...silk liner may help with warmth

To add onto this... Sealskinz do produce, as well as the all weather, a winter cycling glove. They have grip on the thumb as well as the index and middle finger as well as gel padding on the palm. These ones are that little bit thicker than the all weather ones but that obviously comes down to what's best for you.

EDIT: Here's links on the sealskins website for both the all weather and the winter gloves:

All weather: http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/kj441-all-weather-cycle-gloves-black.html?skip_welcome_popup
Winter: http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/kj991-winter-cycle-gloves-black.html

Last edited:

NotFabian

EACC
i've tried so many different gloves, Gore, sealskins, altura and Assos to name a few. Club mates have Chiba, Endura etc etc.
I haven't had any luck keeping my hands warm...until I tried neoprene gloves. They are quite expensive for Castelli etc, but I bought diving gloves from Ebay for £8.95 iirc. They are 4mm neoprene and have been a godsend on recent cold/wet days. I assume they work the same way as a wet suit. Highly recommended

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i chose a pr of Sinner " everest" ski gloves a couple of weeks ago and put them away for a christmas pressie , well today was my first ride with them on and ok it wasnt freezing but it was chilly enough , hands were lovely & warm with good grip and nice and flexiable

so far these are impressive still waiting for some really cold weather but so far so good

gbs

Guru
Generally Gore gloves are v comfortable and warm and VFM. However beware of the MTB glove ( the design with rubber gel on the palms); insufficiently robust in my view in that the stitching needs repair after a dozen or so rides. This is rather technical job and I am not getting any effective help from Gore re repairs.

To be fair - after some pushing Gore Germany offered a like for like replacement (which I declined) or a free choice from available stock.

Top Bottom