What have I done?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redjedi

Über Member
I've just turned my Ridgeback Solo from a SS to a fixed gear
ohmy.gif

I did it as I was frustrated with the freewheel. I've got through 2 in the last year I've had the bike and the latest one was really starting to annoy me. I went to my local Evans and they had a Shimano DX one for £30 or a fixed gear for £20 so I took the plunge and got the fixed.

I fitted it last night before I realised I had a 3/32" chain which didn't fit my 1/8" gear so I had to go back today and get a chain (completely negating the saving I initially made) but it was something I had considered doing for a while.

I've had it on the trainer for a a while practicing clipping into a moving pedal and braking, but I know from riding on a track it's not the same.

So my first run will be tomorrow on the way to work. I think I'll leave early so I can take my time
thumbsup.png

Oh yeah.... and I only had a choice of two chains from the bike shop. A gold one or a red one....I got the red one
blush.gif
but it does match my front tyre.

I'm now both nervous and excited about going to work tomorrow.

You've just taken your first step into a bigger universe
biggrin.gif
seriously though it can be a big step to go fixed and getting used to remembering to unclip before you stop or trackstand once you get the balance .As you've been ss you shouldn't notice any real difference pedalling wise ,the one thing i'd say is make sure you keep your eyes peeled on the road and look ahead ..other than that enjoy it ..

The biggest learning curve for me when switching to fixed was going down steep hills, anything more than about 25mph (72" gear) and I was bouncing all over. I've gradually got the hang of it and can do 32-33 ok, although it does still feel a bit hairy at that speed.

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
I'm only really worried about 2 things at the moment.
1) having the pedal in the right position when I stop. I know about lifting the rear wheel off the ground, but I also have panniers fitted so that may be difficult if they are full. but they won't be tomorrow.
2) as you say Dave, I have a smallish hill in north London to go down at the start of my return commute. I usually hit 25+mph on it but I've been trying to pedal all the way down and I don't spin out too much. But I've re-set my brakes tonight to make sure they work properly :tongue:

I have butterflys in my stomach thinking about it. I must try and miss the main rush hour traffic tomorrow.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
You'll love it. I did the same (a very long time ago) and was an instant convert.
Be vigilant, especially kerbs etc. You'll soon find that fixed gives an extra level of control and you'll learn to anticipate the road conditions better.
Look forward to reading your feedback tomorrow!

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
That wasn't so bad.

Left ten minutes early to avoid having to rush and got to work 10 minutes earlier than usual.
Probably only stopped about 4 times and all but once I managed to stop with the pedal at the 2/3 o'clock position. The one time I couldn't I had a barrier next to me to help heave my back wheel off the floor, I may have to practise that some more when I get home.

I had a handful of reminders that I was riding fixed. A bit of bouncing around when I accelerated to change lanes and join moving traffic only to find it slowing down quite quickly.
Another time I was pushing off from the lights when the car in front stalled, which was fine as I stopped easily but it left my pedal at the bottom. I decided to just push with my standing leg and pull up on the pedal which worked ok.

But the worse one was when I wanted to make a right turn. Did my usual routine of moving into the middle of the lane, signal right .....and freewheel :ohmy: Unlike the other reminders this time I only had one hand on the bars. I was lifted off the seat and the whole bike swayed quite violently. Managed to hold it, just, and luckily the road was unusually empty so no danger of getting hit but it was an eye opener :eek:

On the positive side it was very fast to accelerate and riding up Scrubs Lane which is a long shallow drag of a hill was quite a bit easier than the the SS.

My legs are also aching in places they don't usually ache.

So a :thumbsup: for the first fixed ride.

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
Well done Luke, now to find your first steep hill and descend :hyper:

I took it easy down the hill from work. Not very steep but I can get a decent speed on it. Limited myself to 20mph today, I'll try a little faster tomorrow
biggrin.gif

I have got an annoying buzz sound though. Hopefully it's just because I didn't lubricate the new chain last night.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Welcome to the dark side ! Just had my wheels trued on my fixed and whilst they were in i had them take the freewheel off because it is just extra weight and would turn into a fixed cog before i ever bailed out and returned to freewheel !
It is a great way to ride,don't get me wrong geared and MTB's have there place in my cycle life but i do love riding fixed !

roirizla

I was lifted off the seat and the whole bike swayed quite violently. Managed to hold it, just, and luckily the road was unusually empty so no danger of getting hit but it was an eye opener :eek:

Such a lucker! I normally have an audience when I'm about to fail.

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
There was till a queue of traffic on the other side of the road, it wouldn't have gone un-noticed.

Today was better, just the one reminder as I tried to avoid a pothole, and I'm getting the hang of lifting the wheel up to re-set the pedals.
I'll save track stand practising for the weekend
biggrin.gif

Top Bottom