What is causing this sound?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raggydoll

Über Member
I also must say that as your video plays on a loop I've listened to it loads....I actually find the sound strangely relaxing!

Not relaxing enough to not find the issue of course!

OP
OP
U

united4ever

Über Member
Was the mud guard after all:blush:. Should have checked that more thoroughly. At least I didn't pay for a new bottom bracket!

raggydoll

Über Member
Really glad it was something so simple.
Were you able to adjust the mudguard so that you can keep it on but it doesn't rub or did you need to leave the mudguard off?

New bottom bracket indeed!

1624131089523.png

OP
OP
U

united4ever

Über Member
Yeah was able to keep it on and adjust. Still not great clearance but just enough. Will be first thing to check if/when it happens again.

OP
OP
U

united4ever

Über Member
The same sound returned today so got fed up and removed the mud guard (it was the rear one). The clearance I can manage is tiny so I think it would be a never ending pain tweaking it on a regular basis.

I will no longer be commuting from August so will be able to pick drier days for riding and can manage the next few weeks commute in the summer with no mud guard. Have a plated rack as well....Not sure if that provides some protection?

raggydoll

Über Member
Did you manage to see what is causing the sound?
Is it the actual mudguard rubbing on the tyre?

If the clearance is tiny - is it a case that the current size of tyres plus mudguard is just too much?
Maybe a skinnier tyre would work?

Could the rack be pushing the mudguard into the tyre?

OP
OP
U

united4ever

Über Member
Yeah, it goes back to Halfords again, when i did the fix my bike scheme I wanted like for like tyre replacement on the rear (marathon plus size 32). They only had size 35 in stock so that has obviously pushed the clearance too close. I may look at skinnier tyres or a guard with bigger clearances. I have 32 tyre on the front and 35 tyre on the back - should be good for puncture resistance (touch wood) but feels a bit heavy if i was going for a leisure ride in the country which will be my main source of cycling as I will wfh from August.

Maybe I could keep it as a shopping bike and buy a summer bike for dry days

raggydoll

Über Member
I'm guessing that the rear tyre didn't rub when it was a 32 and only rubbed when you changed to a 35?

In that case, to make sure, you could:
Take the 32 tyre off your front and put it on the back wheel with mudguard.
If it does not rub then that's the issue (35 is too big with mudguard).
You can then either buy a 32 and have it back to the way it was. (32 on front and 32 on back).

Keep the 35 as a spare or another bike or sell or whatever.
Or maybe the 35 would be fine on the front with the mudguard?

Either way, sounds like sticking to the 32 will solve the rubbing?

Top Bottom