What is the ultimate 20'' tyre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

seadragonpisces

Über Member
Hi All,

As per the subject box. My bike project is pretty much done but the final step is the tyres. I have a Kinetix Pro wheelset and I have some Schwalbe Duranos on. Although they are pretty decent, I as usual want to see what I could upgrade to, if possible. I am looking for speed and durability

I have come across the Schwalbe Ultremo ZX, but was wondering what else was out there or views on the Ultremo if anyone has them on their bike?

I have also been thinking about getting some fatter tyres (just to go off on another tangent) as I love my beach cruiser bikes and was thinking I might go down that route but I am told that the widest tyres I can get on my Kinetix are 20 x 1.5 so was also wondering what my options were, an example shown below is what I was thinking of?

Any help much appreciated, thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/supacatfr/6738257325/in/photostream/

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Ultremo ZX in 406 is only 23mm wide- can't imagine that'll be anything other than boneshaking on most 20" bikes and trikes- possibly excepting Moultons. Also more of a race tyre than touring/city, though enough people on here use them. I've got (folding, 40mm) Marathon Racers on Chutney the TT- excellent balance between comfort, speed and durability (both longevity and fairy resistance) IMHO. Marathon Supremes (42mm wide) are barely heavier, but tougher.

A regular on the dahon.com forums ran 50mm Big Apples on his Mu SL (Kinetix Pro rims)- you might be able to fit those, depending on frame and brake clearances (if callipers, I'd guess not).

spark303

Guru
I've just switched to Continental Grand Prix's (406x28) on my Moulton TSR - subjectively they seem a bit quicker than Durano's. I can't comment on durability yet though.

Top Bottom