What is this, and do I need it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wakou

Über Member
Found this whilst searching for 'Bianchi' on fleabay. What is it, and why is my buying finger hovering over the the 'BID' button?

campagnolo steel pump holder ending with bianchi gums

http://bit.ly/HjHrxd

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
I don't know for certain, but think it screws onto the end of a full length pump to mount it on a frame, probably along the seat tube.

I don't know if it fits any pump or just something obscure and expensive. Being Campag, I'd go with "obscure and expensive".

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Yes, it is a pump chuck - screws into the end of a frame fitting pump. In my time it was the thing to do to have the pump - alloy, with red white and blue plastic rings (hand grips), fitted on the seat tube. The handle of the pump had a cut out to fit under the top tube and the chuck's arms located at the bottom bracket end. The spring in the pump handle kept it in place. You had to buy an appropriate size pump to fit your frame. It was regarded as a bit naff to have the pump under the top tube. The Campag chuck was THE thing to have!

edit: the one on ebay looks like it is for a 'silca' pump. I had a Bluemels pump and Campag made an 'English' version that screwed into the pump.

simon.r

Person
Yes, it is a pump chuck - screws into the end of a frame fitting pump. In my time it was the thing to do to have the pump - alloy, with red white and blue plastic rings (hand grips), fitted on the seat tube. The handle of the pump had a cut out to fit under the top tube and the chuck's arms located at the bottom bracket end. The spring in the pump handle kept it in place. You had to buy an appropriate size pump to fit your frame. It was regarded as a bit naff to have the pump under the top tube. The Campag chuck was THE thing to have!

My modern frame has a pump nipple:tongue: And I have my frame-fit pump under the top tube. I wondered why all the old boys point at it and laugh^_^

Top Bottom