what parts are the same on 'bents as on normals? and what are different

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

I would guess the following to be the same?
brakes (longer hoses/cables for the rear disk on a bike)
mech
shifters (longer cables needed?)
cranks

please tell me more about:
headset? (do trikes have two of them??!:smile:)
specifically to trikes - hubs? (as in, how does the axle work if it's only got one half of a dropout to attach to rather than a full drop out to 'straddle' it? do you get special 'trike' hubs/qr skewers??)

what other differences are there in mechanicking recumbents to normal bikeS?

Depends on the machine, but in general the frame is individual and the handlebars - all the gears, brakes, drive etc tend to be standard.

Taking an extreme a Catrike expedition....

The standard spec is:

item4b.gif

This will also take a standard rack, and lights.

Many however including the Challenge series need their own racks.

Often there are third party solutions...

For instance "Sidepods" from Radical design in the Netherlands are usable on most recumbents as panniers

It may be worthwhile ooking at a few manuals for specific information!

squeaker

Über Member
Recumbent bits

bonj said:
please tell me more about:
headset? (do trikes have two of them??!:biggrin:)
Yes (well some older models used bushings, but current Trice use headsets)

bonj said:
specifically to trikes - hubs? (as in, how does the axle work if it's only got one half of a dropout to attach to rather than a full drop out to 'straddle' it? do you get special 'trike' hubs/qr skewers??)
Trice: 12mm diameter cantilevered stub axle, on which sits a SA drum braked hub (i.e. a similar arrangement to Cannondale 'lefty' and other mono-forks)

bonj said:
what other differences are there in mechanicking recumbents to normal bikeS?
Some use indirect steering i.e. there is a linkage between the bars and the hub upright(s) e.g. Trice trikes and some under seat steered (USS) bikes, others have a direct connection e.g. most Catrikes and overseat steered (OSS) bikes. There's usually a chain idler pulley or two in the driveline, and of course the seating itself. Then there's front wheel drive bikes e.g. Raptobike, which do have an elegant simplicity to them

Top Bottom