what should i be doing to look after my bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

united4ever

Über Member
Got a hybrid a couple of months ago. I generally go out for commutes in dry weather. All I really do is pump the tyres to about 100psi once a week and use some dry lube on the chain with a rag if it got a bit wet.

I do nothing beyond this. The frame is a bit muddy but nothing much because I usually go out when its dry only.

What else should I do? Heard I should put citron degreaser on the chain before the dry lube? Is that right? I appreciate the bike will ride better and last longer if I look after it but don't want to spend too much time on it to be honest. So really what is the best use of say 10 minutes a week maintenance.

Thanks

lee1980sim

The 1 Hour Tune Up - How To Make Your Bike Feel L…:

View: https://youtu.be/fYaeVDnSK2c

Profpointy

Legendary Member
occasional oil chain and regular tyre pump pretty much covers it.

Now and again you'll want to check the brakes and adjust, and eventually replace pads, and maybe clean the rims with meths. Gears will need adjusting when they need it, but leave well alone until then. Even less frequently you might want check headset play. Most hubs and bottom brackets are not adjustable these days, and just need new bearings when the time comes - so again, leave well alone till knackered.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
You're on the right lines. I'd spend a couple of minutes each week slowly spinning the wheels and taking out any embedded bits of grit or glass before they work through to the tube - tyre dependent of course, some are thicker than others.

Keep the rims clean and eventually expect to dial a bit more tension into your cable adjustors as the cables all stretch and brake pads wear down too.

Make habit of checking that the fasteners(nuts and bolts) are tight, only take a few minutes once a week to just check that they are all tight and ticky Boo. when I am touring I check them every evening after riding and once week for any other time, it also means you can cast your eyes over the rest of the bike at the same time for any problems.

sbeqs

Thanks for asking this question. It saved me asking.
I'm about to watch the YouTube video.

Top Bottom