What Size Chainring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biggles

I've just reworked my 20" wheel folding bike to an electric bike with a 36v 500w Bafang 8fun. This came with a 46t chainring.

On testing I was not able to peddle assist as I can't safely or comfortably peddle that fast. I have slow powerfull legs.

I had the same problem when the bike was in its original form. It has a 42t chainring on a 250w geared hub motor. I changed the chainring to 52t and it transformed my ride, but apart from very steep or very long climbs I was always in top gear.

I like to peddle and put some effort in as I go along but am wondering if my current 52t chainring is going to be large enough if I go through the bother of welding it the Bafang chainring. Also I would like to use the lower gears as and when required.

Use "gear inches" to pick a gear size you like, using a conventional bike, and translate from 700c/26" to the smaller wheel size using the equations.
If you prefer slower, more powerful pedalling style, you find longer 175mm cranks better.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Rather than changing the chainring it may be possible and cheaper to change the rear sprocket. What is on it at the moment and what hub is on?
Pictures will help.

Top Bottom