What to do with waste oil, water & degreaser

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iluvmybike

Über Member
No idea about the 'legalities' - they may or may not be compliant. They suggsted it when I asked. Whatever you can take take it to an oil bank at the recycling unit: http://www.oilbankline.org.uk/

Unless they're an absolutely massive site, they will not be compliant as it's simply not cost effective. Even if they're compliant, they're not supposed to take oil from sources they don't list, and the hydraulic fluid is not suitable for combustion in those heaters.

It's possible they're doing you a favour and popping it in their collected waste, but they're risking big fines if they're caught burning it.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Click here to find your nearest UK oilbank:
1644427907700.png

If only there was a method of bicycle transmission maintenance that we could use which didn't require copious amounts of toxic volatile compounds that we might then try to avoid pouring down the sink or into the shrubbery. The individual who could come up with such a method would surely become a millionaire overnight!!

kynikos

Veteran
If only there was a method of bicycle transmission maintenance that we could use which didn't require copious amounts of toxic volatile compounds that we might then try to avoid pouring down the sink or into the shrubbery. The individual who could come up with such a method would surely become a millionaire overnight!!
They would indeed - the manufacturers of toxic volatile compounds would pay them £1m for the rights and patents and then lock them up in a safe so they could continue to profit from the old technology.

(now you see where my username comes from)

the snail

Guru
IIRC one of our members is conducting research that will demonstrate that lubrication of your chain is completely unneccessary. I don't know how well that's going though.

raymondo60

A life behind bars
I've owned belt-drive bikes. Did thousands of miles commuting on my old Trek District, brilliant bit of kit. I'm sure the manufacture involves lots of nasty things, but I've often wondered why belts haven't challenged chains as the predominant material. Probably cost, limitations on gearing options etc, but as a mechanical drive tool they work great, and no chain lube required.

CharleyFarley

I use a proprietary chain cleaner device and citrus cleaner for the chain. It ends up black but that's prolly 99% dirt. There's very little to throw away when the job is done, so use a gallon plastic bottle to tip the waste in. (Not a plastic milk bottle because they are very thin and can easily crack.) It will probably take years to fill the bottle. Then take it to a place that collects waste oils etc.

I use White Lightning grease on the wheel bearings, and it's silicone so citrus cleaners won't touch it. Gasoline works, but that's not the best solution because you've still got to get rid of it. I clean the races with paper shop rags and throw them in the trash. Then install new ball bearings. Our trash goes to a trash-to-electricity plant.

Oil? I put a teeny drop on moving parts such as V brake pivots. That's not worth even considering.

It's good to be concerned about the environment but bikes are already pretty environmentally friendly.

nlmkiii

IIRC one of our members is conducting research that will demonstrate that lubrication of your chain is completely unneccessary. I don't know how well that's going though.
I believe that "are conducting research that will demonstrate" something shows that it's a bit of a biased research, and the following paper would have a bunch of white spirit poured on it and burnt!

lubrication is huge too, so if the research is fair they would show it's a good idea. But we can use better and more environmentally friendly lubricants and methods :smile:

nlmkiii

Most recycling centres in the UK don't take such solvents so don't just head to one and hope, check first. If you're a long way from one then you can just get a container for all the waste, and take it once every few years. If we're reusing the degreasers and solvents then we really won't be creating huge amounts of waste!

Top Bottom