What to do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have on ongoing issue that occurs quite regularly when I commute by bicycle.
Very often when I approach a main road that I intend to cross I pull up at the stop sign and wait my turn. a well meaning motorist stops to let me cross the street but I can't trust that other vehicles will stop and I don't want to cross the road illegally. I wave to the driver to continue, shout that she need not stop for me and should treat me as any other vehicle. By this point another vehicle may have slowed or stopped on the main road or the driver behind me gets irate.

This ends in mass confusion and raised voices.

What is the best way to handle this?

snorri

Legendary Member
What is the best way to handle this?

Rules and customs may be different in Canada, or are you in the UK?

Chilternrides

Difficult to say without knowing the road layout you are talking about:

Is it multi lane or just a standard two-way road that you are trying to cross?

If it is a multi lane then I would sit and wait, but if it is a standard road (one lane each way) I would take the offer but then stop again directly in front of the car giving way to you, and check for myself that the other lane was clear enough for me to go before continuing.

All of the above assumes you are not going against the lights or other local rules of course!

Hope that's not too confusing :wacko:

bongofury66

Personally I would still not continue across- whilst the driver is trying to be nice, they are still in the wrong.....and better an irate motorist behind you than a potentially injured you.

corshamjim

I studiously avoid making eye-contact with anyone who I think is stupidly going to give up their right of way at a junction for me. I had that situation today - I could see a driver was likely to let me on to the road ahead of him/her even though I wasn't actually on the road proper at the time so I pretended to be day-dreaming looking anywhere but in his/her direction until (s)he moved. Admittedly I had that luxury because there was no traffic behind me expecting me to get a move on.

sunnyjim

I get this quite a lot - contrary to popular opinion, many motorists are quite well disposed towards cyclists. If I deem it safe, I acknowledge the courtesy with a wave & make my move. Otherwise, I energetically (sp?) wave the motorist on to exercise his/her right of way and stay put.

Obviously, being surrounded by stereotypical Canadians, everyone you meet will be a nice person (TM) :rolleyes:

the main road is multi lanes (2 lanes in each direction ). My big concern is perpetuating the incorrect assumption that the driver should stop and allow the cyclist to pass.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I get this too at a killer junction on my way home from work.

My usual solution is to look away from the person trying to let me out at the traffic coming from the other direction. Often, they take the hint. Some get quite shirty though. Occasionally I'll do as Chilternrides suggest and stop smack in front of the letter-outer. Trouble is, we may then be in that stationary situation for quite some time until someone coming from the other direction wakes up to what's going on and lets me through, clearing the queue.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I get this quite a lot - contrary to popular opinion, many motorists are quite well disposed towards cyclists. If I deem it safe, I acknowledge the courtesy with a wave & make my move. Otherwise, I energetically (sp?) wave the motorist on to exercise his/her right of way and stay put.

I do too - the silliest time was on a mini roundabout ... when the person on my right was indicating I should go... I went cautiously as it was causing confusion on the other entry lane too.

the main road is multi lanes (2 lanes in each direction ). My big concern is perpetuating the incorrect assumption that the driver should stop and allow the cyclist to pass.

Two lane road would make it much more difficult to know if the second lane was going to be clear/stop. I have one place where I need to pull out of a very minor road just where there is a right filter lane as well as the straight on lane... if the situation occurs where they want to let me out, I go forward across the first car (who is usually stopped by a red light), and then judge if the next lane is also clear but I prefer to do it at a time of my choosing instead since obviously the lane going the other way also needs to be clear.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
There are some arterial roads like that round where I live and they can get very busy at rush hour. I don't fancy crossing four lanes of heavy traffic, so I cycle to the pedestrian crossing and if there's others waiting there to cross (not often), I get off and walk it over, if there's no peds around, I just ride over. Technically illegal, but I've done it in front of police cars before and they're not bothered. They would be if I was mowing down small children and grannies.

If its in Canada then proceed cautiously with a thank you wave to the driver. If its in the UK use a more caution because there are more numpties driving more aggressively and one could see it as an opportunity to overtake your courteous driver.

There are certain junctions where I live where this seems to be a regular problem - even when I'm driving. I always refuse. To quote just one recent incident, approaching the mandatory stop line at a 'T' junction, a driver coming from my left stopped and waved me on. I refused, having already seen what they hadn't - the car that would have killed me already starting to undertake the stationary driver (I was on my bike). People who wave you on often haven't done proper mirror checks and have no idea whether its actually safe for you to proceed. Impatient people who undertake often have not thought about why the car in front has stopped.

Top Bottom