What tyre size?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ThePainInSpain

I am 'doing up' an early 90's Specialized Hard Rock to use as an on-road bike for the winter.

At present it has 26" x 1.95 off-road nobbly tyres.

I intend to fit smoothish tyres, but what would be the narrowest I could fit to the existing wheels?

Sleeper

Narrowest 26" fitment! (within reason) I believe 26x1.125 is the narrowest on the Market, I have a pair of Kojaks in this size on 19mm wide rims :smile:

sabian92

Über Member
I went from 26x2.10 knobblies to 26x1.5 slicks on my old hybrid. You can do it just make sure the rim will take it, and get new (appropriately sized) inner tubes.

Any tyre will fit so long as the width of the tyre doen't exceed the rim. And actually even if it does - though I wouldn't.

1990's HardRock is likely to have a 23/24mm rim as was the fashion. So you could, if you chose to, fit a super skinny 26 x 1" tyre such as the one made by Continental. Though I wouldn't.

26 x 1.25" and 26 x 1.3" are nice and fast but lose out on comfort. 26 x 1.5" and 26 x 1.75" are comfy, grippy and less nippy. I like a 1.3" for its balance of performance atributes, though I'm currently running 1.5s on my commuter for a bit more cush.

You choose.

And, as has been mentioned, make sure you get tubes to match.

Top Bottom