What tyres for giant slr 1 wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee_M

Guru
Looking for help on tyre selection.
I have a giant advanced propel, with slr tubeless carbon wheels, and looking for tyre advice.

I don't use them tubeless as I had nothing but trouble getting them to seal (I suspect my weight makes it difficult and forces the holes apart) and been left stranded in the past, so looking for clinchers.

The issue isn't with clinchers themselves so much as it's close to impossible to get tyres over the rims, last puncture we had three people working and using levers before we got the tyre back on - and yes aim aware of the technique of getting the beads into the centre of the wheel, but it was still close to impossible.

So is there anyone on here with the same wheels and can advise tyres that don't require Jason Mamoa to be in the ride?

TIA

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You have used talc on the inside of the tyre. Stops all these issues. Stops the 'rubber' gripping the rim making fitting difficult. You don't want talc if running tubeless, but it's important if running tubes to make your life easy.

OP
OP
Lee_M

Lee_M

Guru
You have used talc on the inside of the tyre. Stops all these issues. Stops the 'rubber' gripping the rim making fitting difficult. You don't want talc if running tubeless, but it's important if running tubes to make your life easy.

I'll give it a try thanks. Not sure it would negate needing three blokes to get one tyre on in, but I'll try anything

Jameshow

Veteran
I think it's your tubeless wheels are the issue they are such a tight fit to create a seal when used tubeless. Could you swap to another set of wheels??

OP
OP
Lee_M

Lee_M

Guru
I think it's your tubeless wheels are the issue they are such a tight fit to create a seal when used tubeless. Could you swap to another set of wheels??

I agree it is the wheels, but they're not cheap, so not that keen on spending more money if I can find slightly looser tyres. Heresay is that some are looser than others, but it's expensive to keep trying different ones without any guidance

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve never had much issue with Vittoria Rubino and I’m rubbish at fitting tyres (albeit not on fancy tubeless wheels)

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'll give it a try thanks. Not sure it would negate needing three blokes to get one tyre on in, but I'll try anything

It does make a reasonable difference, and helps prevent nipping the tube. friction is not your friend when fitting tyres.

OP
OP
Lee_M

Lee_M

Guru
Thanks for all the replies, sorry I've been quiet in my response.

Managed to get my gp5000s off and back on a couple of times so theyve loosened up a bit and managed to get a cheap set of schwalbe lugano a as back up.

The gp5000s needed 3 tyre levers and all my strength to get them off the first time! Glad I wasn't trying that in the rain and cold.
I can now manage with two, and can get back on without levers.

Tubeless wheels - horrific, discuss :-)

DRM

Guru
Yes, GP5000's are dreadful on tubeless rims, I pray they don't puncture, I'm seriously considering taking them off, and trying something else, they literally pulled the skin off my thumbs fitting them, and helping the levers get them over the rim, hateful things

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes, GP5000's are dreadful on tubeless rims, I pray they don't puncture, I'm seriously considering taking them off, and trying something else, they literally pulled the skin off my thumbs fitting them, and helping the levers get them over the rim, hateful things

there are 2 versions of the GP5000, one has "TR" at the end of its name for tubeless ready, which is the one to avoid, trickier bead and more expensive (tubeless premium).

DRM

Guru
there are 2 versions of the GP5000, one has "TR" at the end of its name for tubeless ready, which is the one to avoid, trickier bead and more expensive (tubeless premium).

The ones I waged war with to install aren't the tubeless ready ones, i dread to think what they're like to fit

Top Bottom