What tyres should I be using?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jsmith

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on here so please excuse if it's in the wrong forum. I'm quite new to road biking and am looking to get some advice of the correct type of tyre to use if possible.

I have a BTwin Triban 300 entry-level road bike, and am mainly riding along country lanes which don't have the greatest road surfaces as you can imagine. Currently I'm running on Continental Gatorskin Poly X Breaker 23mm tyres, and I'm getting punctures on virtually every other ride. I'm obviously not using the correct tyres so was hoping for some suggestions if anyone has suffered a similar problem.

I really like this bike as it's light, and much prefer the feel that of riding my mountain bike. However, I just need to find the right solution to my tyres problem so that it isn't as much of a constant problem.

If anyone can let me know of any tyres they would suggest, and possibly some tricks of the trade I'm be most appreciative.

JSmith

Citius

Nothing wrong with those tyres, which are - in principle - ideal for that kind of use.

gbb

Legendary Member
You'll get several suggestions based only on what any particualr person finds works for them...but it doesnt neccessarily work for others.
I run Gators, havnt had a puncture in over two years.
Some swear by Marathons, others don't like them.

Consider your riding position and area.. have they been cutting hedges ? |Hawthorn is a swine for punctures. Do you ride close to the edge ?...more crud there.

And welcome to you Jsmith :okay:

MikeW-71

Veteran
What is puncturing the tyres? Gatorskins are quite tough things, if it's big thorns or glass, you're maybe riding too close to the edge of the road where all that crap ends up. If it's a "snakebite" where you get two holes in the tube, then tyre pressure is too low.

If it's neither of those, remove the tyres and check the rims thoroughly inside for sharp edges, and check inside the tyres for sharp protrusions. Remove any that you find.

EDIT: as a guide, I weigh about 11 stone (70kg) and run 23mm tyres at 95-100psi

puffinbilly

Veteran
Gatorskins should be ok but if you've having problems is it the same tyre each time? If so, it's probably that the debris that caused the first puncture is still present in the tyre - run your finger round the inside and outside of the tyre to feel for any sharp debris. If it's not this - are you running the tyres at the correct pressure -100 psi plus?
Are the punctures occurring in the same place in the inner tube each time - the way to check this is to position the valve at a set point on the each time - like the brand name written on the tyre. One further thing - it sounds like either it's the above or perhaps you're not getting the tyre to seat correctly when you've changed the tube and may be getting pinch punctures.

OP
OP
J

jsmith

Hi all, thanks for the prompt replies. The punctures tend do tend to occur on roads where there is a lot of debris, gravel etc, except I thought exactly what has been said, in that these tyres are meant for those sorts of surface. I will do another thorough check over the tyres to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious by way of debris left over or the inner tube getting snagged etc.

In terms of riding position, I don't think that I'm riding too close to the edge as I'm usual on small lanes with very little traffic. Small lanes does mean much more debris on the road surface. Many others cycle the same routes though, so I'm sure that I don't need to change where I'm cycling.

@MikeW-71 & @puffinbilly, I think you may have hit the nail on the head actually. I'm only using a hand pump so therefore have no readout of what psi I'm inflating them too. I have therefore just purchased a proper pump with readout gauge.

@vickster, thanks for your tyre suggestion, they look reasonably priced so I may give them a go if I can't win my battle with the Continentals. I'm looking for more puncture resistance really and I'm happy to spend up to £30 a tyre really.

Anyway, I'll do my healthcheck and get back if there are still problems.

Cheers,

Jsmith

Last edited by a moderator:
Check rims. Check for protruding spokes. Remove any sharp metal edges with emery cloth. Fit decent rim tape (Velox).

When you seat the tyre, press it into the central well of the rim. Ensure bead is seated, esp around the valve.

cbs

I take it you are fixing the punctures each time - are you replacing the tube or applying patches? If it's the latter, then perhaps the tubes are the weak point and could be the cause. As someone said, Gatorskins are pretty puncture-resistant, but no tyre is puncture proof, and a lot depends on other factors, pretty much all of which have been mentioned in this thread.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I use Gatorskins in the winter too. They puncture once in a while, but generally perform well. Echo the comments of those above - really important to find out what is causing the puncture - and get rid of it! Another tip is to wipe round the inner of the tyre with a piece of cotton wool, which will snag on any sharp point too small for your fingers to feel. You may have to take the tyre off and turn it inside out to find the problem, and need fine nosed tweezers to remove it. Line up the logo on the tyre with the valve to provide a reference point. Pressure 90 psi plus, I run mine at 95/100.

Top Bottom