What width of tyre for mtb on tarmac?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
beanzontoast
Thanks all for these thoughts. Not planning on carrying much weight apart from a backpack, so that's not going to be a major factor. I think I'm going to look at M+ in 1.5 and 1.7 and see which appears most suited to the bike.

Then it's on to mudguards. Haven't investigated fixings yet, but I'm not sure the downtube and seat-stay mounted crud-catchers currently on it will be fully effective in rain on tarmac. I'm hoping the Trek 3700 can take proper full or 3/4 length mudguards...

e-rider

crappy member
sus. forks will not take full length mudguards in most cases

Davidc

Guru
MacB said:
oh yeah, get advice on aesthetics from the sorriest, ugliest, mismatched bunch of rejects ever to stumble across the invention know as the wheel.

Alternatively if it looks ok to you, and is mechanically sound, do it.

Bu**er the aesthetics all I want is as much speed as possible with the least possible effort! :wacko:

lukesdad

tom slicks 1 s 100 PSI used em for years on Mavic rims no probs pretty fast to specialized do one to thats supposed to be pretty good too.

Wobbly John

Veteran
Forget the width - I've done 48 mph on knobblies.

Go for slick, high pressure - 2" wide tyres at 100psi, beats thin tyres at 60psi any-day.

Forget comments on rim damage - they're bollocks :biggrin:

bauldbairn

Debian said:
I'm too much of a poseur I'm afraid.

I just swapped my knobblies for Big Apples - I went for the 26 x 2.15.

IMHO anything less than 1.75 just looks silly on an MTB, but that's just my opinion.

+1, I put 1.5 X 26" semi-slicks on mine and I thought they just didn't suit the look of the bike(too skinny) - as I wanted to keep my chunky 3/4 mudguards on. Replaced them with 1.85 X 26" semi-slicks and they look much better, just keep them pumped up to 85psi(mfg's max) to reduce rolling resistance. :biggrin:

e-rider

crappy member
Wobbly John said:
Forget the width - I've done 48 mph on knobblies.

Go for slick, high pressure - 2" wide tyres at 100psi, beats thin tyres at 60psi any-day.

Forget comments on rim damage - they're bollocks :laugh:

it's not bollocks

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
I'm looking at changing the tyres on my wife's mtb and wanted some slicks for the road but notice that a lot of them weight over 500g. I've found Shwalbe Kojaks at 295g that look good and are cheap - any other light and not too expensive tyres that you guys know of?

Top Bottom