What would you do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twiggy

If, whilst in an appriately sized and situated cyclelane (as rare as they are). A car overtook, whilst halfway into said cyclelane.

Given that the roadway, excluding the cyclelanes is potentially wide enough for three lanes of traffic, and has only two. (one lane in each direction)
Given there where no obstructions in the road, no "traffic calming"*

*where traffic calming is in effect, the road is still wide enough for a HGV to pass it without encroaching on the cyclelane

Given also, that the traffic signals ahead are red, and you've easily caught up with the offending car, without even trying.

What would you do?

*nb, I cycled past, and the lights had changed to green by the time I was at the ASL, so I sailed through. The driver didn't overtake, so I assume turned left (pretty common at that junction)

dubman

Guru
ride on the pavement :smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
You probably did the right thing for your own blood pressure's sake. But the temptation to 'have a word', or just give them a fierce look as you went by would be hard to resist. Questions about whether they had read the Highway Code on cyclelanes would be valid, along with remarks on their acuity of eyesight and perhaps, if you feel strongly enough, parentage

If you could get in front (IE, in an ASL), then getting right in their way and cycling off very slowly would be satisfying.

gbb

Legendary Member
In that situation Twiggy, if i can get alongside or in front, get the drivers attention and use my thumb and forefinger to indicate 'a little more room please'....while asking as well.
I try to keep calm but forcefull. Most drivers wont apologise...most will try to avoid eye contact, but hopefully, in a polite way...you get the point across for the future.

Its satisfying, but the next cyclist they meet may get short shrift.

I was passed last week by an elderly couple in a distinctive car. They passed so close as was as if they hadn't actually seen me as they didn't deviate one inch.
I gave chase but lost them soon after. I guessed the car would be local, so vowed to keep a look out for it.

Week later, coming back from papershop on foot, there they are! They live literally around the corner from me, 2 old dears in a lime green Polo. I glad I didn't catch them at the time as I would have let rip and felt guilty for days.

I kep meaning to go round and have a word, but they won't remember the incident and won't really understand the risks.

To the OP - you did the right thing. Venting anger is satisfying, but adds to your risk in the long term. Try a mirror so you're pre warned of close overtakes (though not all!)

OP
OP
Twiggy

Twiggy

Thanks, I feel overall slightly better for being the better person, and not lashing out.
Though my partner suggested gluing sandpaper to my cycling shoes.

I've only ever really sworn once at a driver, and that was when they'd cut me up badly, and delberatly, then had the audacity to beep at me for being in their way.

OP
OP
Twiggy

Twiggy

User3143 said:
How much room did you have when the driver overtook you?

an inch from my shoe, maybe two.

Dave5N

Über Member
cheadle hulme said:
Its satisfying, but the next cyclist they meet may get short shrift.

I was passed last week by an elderly couple in a distinctive car. They passed so close as was as if they hadn't actually seen me as they didn't deviate one inch.
I gave chase but lost them soon after. I guessed the car would be local, so vowed to keep a look out for it.

Week later, coming back from papershop on foot, there they are! They live literally around the corner from me, 2 old dears in a lime green Polo. I glad I didn't catch them at the time as I would have let rip and felt guilty for days.

I kep meaning to go round and have a word, but they won't remember the incident and won't really understand the risks.

To the OP - you did the right thing. Venting anger is satisfying, but adds to your risk in the long term. Try a mirror so you're pre warned of close overtakes (though not all!)

WTF? 'They are a sweet old couple, they never meant to kill him... they just couldn't see very well.'

If only someone had said something sooner, the tragedy could have been averted...

PBancroft

Congratulations on keeping calm. I probably would have sworn profusely as he drove past and then hung back making elaborate "No... after you" gestures when the lights go green.

Was he on the phone?

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Carry a 'dog-pull' (ball-type) round your right wrist. When a car gets 'too close' a deft whip of the pull toy onto the bodywork will communicate the lack of space quite well. :biggrin:

'........er I don't know how that happened, you were well clear of me when you overtook....' :biggrin:

(as posted on the Richmond Black Cabs thread)

OP
OP
Twiggy

Twiggy

I just like to keep in mind that I'm the better person, and will get where I'm going faster than them in rush hours.

Top Bottom