What's a flak jacket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
My road bike has Specialized Mondo Pro tyres which have a Flak Jacket.
What's a flak jacket?

Christopher

Über Member
If you mean the original tem, it's body armour made of Kevlar, steel, ceramic or a mixture of all three. The intention is to stop small caliber bullets, shrapnel and knives from harming the person. Them bulky jackets war correspondents seem keen on posing in are flak jackets.

The firm U.S. Calvary dot com has a fine selection in many different weights

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Originally:
A flak jacket or flak vest is a form of protective clothing designed to provide protection from shrapnel and other indirect low velocity projectiles. Today it frequently refers to bulletproof vests, particularly Type III and above which have added steel, titanium, ceramic or polyethylene plates which can withstand high-powered rounds such as those from rifles.

Originally worn by aircrew during WW2 to protect from exploding Anti-Aircraft shells that explode mid air and send shrapnel in all directions. Later worn on ships and inside tanks for the same reason, to protect from the indirect effect of shrapnel from exploding shells when inside a metal box.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Thanks for the answers. So does that mean my tyres offer good protection against punctures?

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Frustruck said:
The intention is to stop small caliber bullets, shrapnel and knives from harming the person.
There's one or two rough areas on my commute but it's not that bad...

Mr Pig

Maz said:
So does that mean my tyres offer good protection against punctures?

Yes. Specialized Flack Jacket tyres have protection under the tread. Their Armadillo tyres have the protection under the side wall too but are a little heavier.

Top Bottom