What's a lumen, and how much to pay for good lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Motozulu

Über Member
Thanks for that - for the price I did'nt expect a lot and if I get a full year out of it for less than £40 I won't grumble - but I might look at getting something a bit better built by then. Seems a key point is to make sure the battery pack is well insulated against the elements? as for the vibration well as you say - build quality and not much can be done. Anyway - thanks again for the feedback. :thumbsup:

pshore

Long term report on my torches ...

P7 is has been through 3 seasons. It has two modes and the least bright one has failed, must be a bad resistor or something.

R6 ? Also 2 and 3 seasons (i upgraded the innards for a tenner). I use this one on the commute because of its tightish spot. Great light for commuting.

T6, 1 season done. Great light, excellent brightness, really happy with it.
I do off-road MTB at Thetford Forest and no experience off-road in a hilly area.

As always, the What Lights thread in the MTB Buying Advice thread on bikeradar is the place to read up on this stuff.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
'Genuine' Magicshine T6 MJ-808E year old - still working fine - battery doing 3 hours on max. Just bought diffuser lense for it.

Some older batteries (1st generation 3 years old and just used as a spare) - one failed within a year over summer and one is OK - not holding charge as long as the more regular used battery. I suspect down to not being used/charged much.

Magicshine MJ-818's (rears) - one 3 years old fine, one 2 years old fine - batteries were used as spares for above and I changed to an AA system (home made) for ease.

I've ordered a cheapo 3xT6 head unit for MTB fun - I suspect the battery will die very quick, and if it does I'll move to sorting out a charger and individual 18650 cells to power it using 2 x 2 cell battery packs.

Motozulu

Über Member
The T6 is the one on Amazon right? that's the one I'll have a go with - the trails I ride have a lot of vibration so I may get the same problem as Mr Grumpy but we'll see - as ever with the cheaper end of the market it is sometimes a little bit of pot luck. Thanks for the heads up on the what lights thread too.

pshore

T6 is just the innards, like the LED and maybe a bit of circuitry. It's analogous to the processor chip in your computer. Any manufacturer can build a T6 based light, from a cheap chinese knock off, to Hope and Exposure etc but quality will vary.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Just charged my MS mj808 for the first time this year. All working well going in to it's third winter. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom