What's going on with cytronex?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

Cytronex are a company in Winchester that produce electric bikes and I've been keeping an eye on them keen to see when they're going to release a new model. I'm not sure but I think they have the same models on there that they had almost two years ago. To be fair they have updated the components on one of their models but it's a poor show really. I don't think the prices have changed much lately but there's occasionally been discounts (for eg. Christmas).

Don't get me wrong though, I really love what Cytronex are doing. They produce by far the best looking electric bikes I've ever seen it's a neat idea to make the battery look like a water bottle to fool people into thinking it's a regular bike. You also don't see many electric racers too but that's cytronex's bread and butter.

They also told me when I rang them about a year ago that they were going to release a kit....

I'm still tempted to buy one of these bikes though but I'm just concerned that it's old technology now. What do you think?

Edit: Actually I think the price of this one has dropped by about a grand. Still pricey though. Looks lovely.
http://www.cytronex....kes/caad10.html

http://www.cytronex....persix_old.html
blink.gif
Discounted?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mr C thought the were too slow. Stopped sales ! :tongue:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
They got a good write up by AtoB magazine, especially the single-speed version that is based on the Cannondale Capo. They're one of the few electric bikes to still use NiMH instead of Li-ion. NiMH batteries can't carry as much charge per given weight as Li-ion but they are more reliable over time. Li-ion batteries don't seem to last too well. I've been reading all about it in a book called Electric Bikes. Perhaps Cytronex are struggling with this issue. If Li-ion technology does come good then Cytronex's NiMH batteries are obsolete. If Li-ion continues to be unreliable then perhaps Cytronex has a market. I've been idly pondering buying the Cytronex Capo, but I think what I really want is a moped.

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
They got a good write up by AtoB magazine, especially the single-speed version that is based on the Cannondale Capo. They're one of the few electric bikes to still use NiMH instead of Li-ion. NiMH batteries can't carry as much charge per given weight as Li-ion but they are more reliable over time. Li-ion batteries don't seem to last too well. I've been reading all about it in a book called Electric Bikes. Perhaps Cytronex are struggling with this issue. If Li-ion technology does come good then Cytronex's NiMH batteries are obsolete. If Li-ion continues to be unreliable then perhaps Cytronex has a market. I've been idly pondering buying the Cytronex Capo, but I think what I really want is a moped.

There's another problem with lithium... there ain't that much of it on planet earth.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Yes, it's strange that. Hydrogen and helium are the most abundant elements in the universe. Lithium is the 3rd element in the periodic table, so you'd think there'd be a lot of that too.

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
However much I like the concept of cytronex, and I really do, I can't help but feel like they're flogging a half dead horse. They've said they're going to release a kit for about the last three years. I mean ok they've updated their range slightly but still, has the technology changed?
http://www.cytronex.com/

Top Bottom