What's the life expectancy of a bottom bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

This might sound crazy.

After cyclocross events and off-road stuff where river fording and mud-up-the-axles encountered, riders ( or their low paid mechanics ) would completely strip the entire bike. BB assembly, both hubs, rear mech - Yes, that was possible with a Simplex.
The chain was cleaned out and re-waxed, gear cables were pulled, washed out and re-greased. Cables only had 3 - 4 repeat uses because a short length in the endcap was snipped off with every removal.

Filth does get everywhere.

If the bike went over in the mud completely, the headset was stripped and cleaned. Seat post came out and the frame flushed. Brakes were stripped.
Everthing that looked dirty was cleaned.

In competition, reliability is tops.
Needless to say, old habits die hard.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I knew my 6 month BB life would go down well :thumbsup:

jimboalee

Back in the sixties and seventies, it really annoyed me that ALL the LBS around where I lived were 'CLOSED' on Mondays...;)

Headgardener

Armchair Cyclist
Not long after I got my bike off my brother I was giving it a general clean and check over and found that the BB was loose so took it to LBS who said they would fit a cartridge BB. When I collected the bike the mechanic said that the drive side cup was rusted in solid so all they could do was regrease the cups and bearings and refit. This is mystifying as the frame is aluminum although the bearing cup might be steel which could explain it.

Top Bottom