What's the price of perfection?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickC

About two years ago I spent 700 Euros on the best bike I could afford at the time, with the intention of turning it - by degrees - into the perfect tourer (for me anyway).

I've nearly achieved that now - apart from a new, stronger wheelset - and adding up the cost of everything I've bought and done so far, I find that altogether I've spent around 2000 Euros on (almost) achieving this goal.

But it's been worth it! Truly! Really! (But will my wife think so too, I wonder?)

So has anyone else been through this process - and what's the price of perfection for you?

jags

Guru
nickc join the club,i've spent a fortune on bike and all that goes with it,panniers /racks,decked it out in all shimano xt ,hand build wheels ,and of course the famous brooks.and then there's all this lightweight camping gear ,cost as much again .all top of the range stuff,is it worth it ,i would have to say in all honesty YES.
i have also a class fill carbon look kx light bike and to be honest i would rather be on the tourer.it has taken me almost 18 months to gather all this gear ,but i wanted to get the best there is ,don't want any problems with either bike or gear when im out there in the element's,okay it cost me a lot of money and sometimes hardship from the wife, but that what women are for giving greef (only jokeing)
nah you done the wright thing nick,you will end up spending a lot more by the time your finished ,but what the hell enjoy life ,we are not doing anybody or anything any harm cycle touring so don't feel guilty .i dont....

Bodhbh

Guru
Well another one. I bought an as new MTB for a couple of hundred quid something about this time last year to convert for touring. Certainly had no pretentions as it being the perfect tourer at the time, and thought it might even be a cheap option, however a year on and the only orginal components left are the frame, seatpost and brakes, as bits either get replaced and upgraded due to wear (headset, drivetrain, bust wheels) or to get things just as I want them (bars, saddle, tyres, etc, etc). Next year I might get a more different frame to hang the bits on (hrmm but why, I don't *need* to but all this talk of steel frames want to at least see what the fuss is about).

I estimated the cost of replacing the current setup along with tent, panniers, other camping gear, typical luggage and whatnot for the purposes of insurance - comes close to 3 grand, about 1/2 of it is bike and the rest is luggage. Jeez.

Anyhow time to draw a line and go out spending the money having fun instead, sun in shining, not a cloud in the sky etc. Can noodle with the bike over winter.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Dawes Galaxy - bought s/h £200 only modifications were the additions of a B17 Brooks saddle at £35 and £15 worth of Specialized Bar Phat gel pads and bar tape. Total £250

Dave Yates light tourer/Audax - build from the ground up around an as new s/h frame.
Total build costs £650

Flying Gate tourer - bought as fixed wheel bike - now rebuilt around the refurbished frame and a mix of new and as new s/h parts total cost £600

yello

Can you get perfection? I seem to still be in the 'trial and error' stage... and I have 3 or 4 spare saddles as testimony!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
yello said:
Can you get perfection? I seem to still be in the 'trial and error' stage... and I have 3 or 4 spare saddles as testimony!

Either I'm less intolerant than others or I'm lucky enough to get things right first time.

Having typed this, I realise that I had to chage the granny ring on the Dave Yates bike at a grand cost of £5 but, this informed the build of the Flying gate which had had the modification to the 105 chain set from the outset.

Top Bottom