Wheel advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EasyTiger

Hi, I’m after some advice... planning on building my first bike and need advice on wheels. Bike is going to be a light tourer/commuter/short bikepacker which could be a straight road/hard track bike with rack and guards taken off. Looking at Ti frame, GRX 800/815 but I’m stuck on the wheels. Wanting something strong with higher weight limit to carry me and luggage (I’m not small). Looking at something around £500. Current options are DT Swiss CR1600 or Hunt 4 Season Superdura disc (or Hunt Race Aero Superdura). Anyone have any advice on these or have other options? Not sure where to start with custom wheel build.... Thanks.

I use Pacenti Forza rims and Hope hubs for my disc wheel builds in 32 hole and find them pretty strong and not too heavy either.

The asymmetric spoke drillings on the rim allow you to get more even spoke tension between the two sides.

I’m 16 stone by the way. Sheer muscle of course. :whistle:

Daninplymouth

Iv used DCR wheels on my last 2 sets. I had his own rim and hubs on my first set, think they were about £380 rolled nice and were strong enough I was about 16stone, might be worth dropping them an email to see what they’d recommend

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
agree with @Daninplymouth . I have DCR wheels on a couple of my bikes. I had a chat with David as to my requirements. ie disc brake touring/commuter with panniers. He built a great pair for about £300 at the time. This was near 10 years ago and they are still going strong. they look fab too.

OP
OP
E

EasyTiger

Many thanks for your help. I get the feeling there’s some consensus that custom build are better than ‘off the peg’. My local bike mechanic said the same but didn’t give any recommendations. I’ll check out DCR and get their advice. Wheel building and components are a bit beyond me at the moment but I can draw on their expertise. Thanks again.

Daninplymouth

Many thanks for your help. I get the feeling there’s some consensus that custom build are better than ‘off the peg’. My local bike mechanic said the same but didn’t give any recommendations. I’ll check out DCR and get their advice. Wheel building and components are a bit beyond me at the moment but I can draw on their expertise. Thanks again.
Just to add to I don’t think David would rip you off either. The first wheels he recommended were about £200 less than my budget

Top Bottom