Wheel Bearing Size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
I bought a book on wheelbuilding and have a pair of old wheels to practise on. I thought it would make sense to service the hubs at the same time.

They are Sachs Maillard cup & cone type, dating from the early/mid-nineties judging by the bike they came off.

Are the bearings of cup & cone hubs a standard size (if so what is it) and if not how do I measure them.

Many thanks.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
At a guess you will have 9 x 1/4" bearings on the rear and 3/16"th on the front. But different makers did use different sizes.

You will need to get a micrometer or take a sample down to the LBS and compare.

I would check that the races on the hubs and the cones are spotless - without pitting or scratch marks - otherwise you are wasting your time.

OP
OP
Scilly Suffolk

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Thanks for getting back to me Pete.

It's as I feared, with different sizes for different manufacturers.

Good point about the races, I'll wait until they're stripped down before getting new bearings.

Not too fussed if they're gone: these are just to practice wheel building on.

OP
OP
Scilly Suffolk

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Ordered one yesterday from a uk supplier for seven pounds or so.

Tried to measure a bearing with my manual Verniers and went a bit cross-eyed.

I appreciate that there will be a marked difference in quality with "proper" callipers, but work is thin on the ground at the moment, so they'll have to do,

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
JTW, I'm sure you know this, but on the off-chance that you don't, there are loads of good clips on Youtube about bearing sizes, regreasing etc. I always have trouble getting the cone tension compression "sweet".

Good luck.

OP
OP
Scilly Suffolk

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Actually Slowmotion, it hadn't occurred to me to look on Youtube, so thanks for the suggestion.

Top Bottom