Wheel/cassette/tyre choice for turbo?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nimchimpsky82

Über Member
Hi all

Had a great ride in the sun on the Wirral yesterday, but the weather today is depressing, as is the forecast. Been thinking about getting a turbo for a while, and now about to pull the trigger.

I've never had a turbo before -- so plz forgive my ignorance
icon_redface.gif
-- but having done some reading I've come to realise that most peeps use a separate wheel, tyre, and cassette for their turbo. This seems sensible but I'm on a bit of a budget and so prefer not to spend more than £100 on wheel, tyre, and cassette if poss.

As for the tye, I understand that the best choice is:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Continental_Ultra_Sport_Home_Trainer_Folding_Tyre/5360017042/

My gear setup is Campag Veloce 10-sp. Any suggestions as to what would be the cheapest wheel/cassette combo?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Young Un

See if your local bike shop has an old wheel kicking around anywhere that you can have, for very little, or if your lucky none at all?

Will1985

Über Member
Any Campag splined wheel will do - eBay and forum classifieds are good places to look. For cassettes, either use one of your old cassettes or have a hunt around for a bargain one - Campag Mirage or Veloce or a Miche Primato will do. A straight up cassette would be better than one with massive jumps at the big end...something like a 12-23 is probably the easiest to obtain. Found a Mirage one here for example (bit pricey for what it is).

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I quite enjoy the turbo but many people buy one and it then lies rotting in the garage after a few goes. I'm no fan of eBay, but have a look for barely used second hand jobs - there are plenty for sale.

OP
OP
N

nimchimpsky82

Über Member
Thanks all, very helpful :biggrin:

I used to spend quite long intervals on the exercise bikes in the local gym (until I moved house and it was no longer very local), and as long as I had some Metallica on the iPod I found myself putting in 30-40 minutes without any problem. Could've done more, but there were other machines around -- and sometimes the 'views', shall we say, were better elsewhere in the gym :smile:

I know that Mavic do some affordable Campag pattern wheels -- am trying to find other manufacturers that do too at the mo so I can do some efficient eBay/classified searches.

Top Bottom