Wheel choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
I have to get a new 700c rear wheel for my Trek hybrid. I use a centre lock disc brake rotor.

I have now got it down to a choice of two. There is the Shimano RX05. I fitted the matching wheel to the front of my bike a couple of weeks ago. This is a 28 spoked wheel. I am a heavyweight and sometimes use full panniers, though not all the time. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/rx05-8-9-10-speed-centre-lock-disc-rear-wheel-ec057479

The other choice is an Alex Rims DH19. This wheel has 36 spokes and is £20 cheaper. Would it be a bit stronger than the Shimano? Reviews for it are mixed, but online reviews often only tell half the story.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALEX-RIMS...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item19e5b82eaf

Although it is the spoke count that slightly bothers me I am leaning towards the Shimano wheel.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
More spokes equals stronger so if you are going to be putting some serious weight on it go for that. Plus twenty quid cheaper.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
More spokes equals stronger so if you are going to be putting some serious weight on it go for that. Plus twenty quid cheaper.

Since looking further into it that is what I am now thinking since last night. They make 40 plus spoke wheels for tandems, wheels that need to be strong. I am not blinded to the fact, however, that a well built cheap wheel could be better than a poorly built expensive wheel, and vice-versa. I guess that is just a chance you have to take at this end of the market.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Since looking further into it that is what I am now thinking since last night. They make 40 plus spoke wheels for tandems, wheels that need to be strong. I am not blinded to the fact, however, that a well built cheap wheel could be better than a poorly built expensive wheel, and vice-versa. I guess that is just a chance you have to take at this end of the market.
A poorly built wheel, regardless of the cost will always be a poor wheel.

A cheap but well built wheel might be heavy and last pretty well (depending on the quality of the components)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If the hub is still OK why not get a new rim laced on as a handbuilt wheel will always be better as long as the guy knows what he is doing
My own preference is a 36 spoke 4 cross pattern

PpPete

Legendary Member
A poorly built wheel, regardless of the cost number of spokes will always be a poor wheel.
FTFY

If the hub is still OK why not get a new rim laced on as a handbuilt wheel will always be better as long as the guy knows what he is doing
My own preference is a 36 spoke 4 cross pattern
I don't know that 4 cross (as against 3 cross) adds much to the strength of a wheel.
I'm no lightweight (90kg + 10kg bike + 10kg luggage) and have signally failed to break anything on handbuilt 2 cross and 3 cross 32 and 36 spokers.
A riding companion who probably didn't trouble 60kg then (and still under 70kg now) completely mullah'd a poor factory built 32 spoke 3 cross.

What I'm trying to say is - there is no right answer !

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member

I said cost rather than number of spokes because most people think that by throwing money at it they get quality. The fact is that a poorly built wheel will give you trouble, maybe from day one, if not then you can be sure, at some point, you will find out.

Number of spokes is important even on a well built wheel. A heavy rider on a 20 spokes rear wheel would make a mess of it regardless of how good the wheel is.

Top Bottom