Wheel Flex.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I've noticed since I've been getting quicker and not cycling with an ipod that I can hear my wheels flexing whilst climbing. The bike's an alu framed and forked 26" wheel urban machine which now sports 1.25" slicks. When going up a climb I can hear the discs making a 'schlick-schlick' sound so it's either the wheel or the axle, I'm not sure which. I've never had an issue with broken spokes (except the one I mullered by tightening it with a pair of needle-nosed pliers) or issues with the rim going out of true.

I started riding the bike at 20 stone and I'm now down to nearly 16 stone. Is this flex, wherever it comes from, going to do any components any damage or will the damage already have been done? Or is it nothing to worry about?

And the other thing, I'm going to get a road bike next year and is there anything to look out for when buying. The bikes I've been looking at have either the R500 wheelset or Fulcrum 7's.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Stop worrying. All metals will bend and you are subjecting them to huge stresses. It looks like a nice bike and I'm sure it's well up to the job, anyway there's nothing that can't be repaired on a bicycle. Keep riding but keep giving the bike a regular check, especially for wheel trueness, loose spokes, frayed cables and tyres and loose bolts especially in the steering, as well as loose QRs.

Top Bottom