Wheel Problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikejclark

Hi all,

New member here looking for some help.

I have a Raleigh Freeride which I bought from a carboot sale for £40. I like the bike save for the front wheel was slightly buckled. I had it trued at a bike shop, which has improved it, although the buckle was just enought that on certain parts of the wheel rotation it would clip the brake pads and while braking there would be a slight jerking movement.

I subsequently swapped the wheel for one I had from a cheap old bike (although it was in better condition that the old one). I have now noticed that if I release the quick release brakes and let the wheel spin whilst holding the bike off the ground, the wheel slows and stops much faster than it should ie not in proportion to the amount of force that I put into the spin.

Can anyone tell my why this might be and also and directions to guides as to how to fix this.

Also I notice that my gears dont change as quickly as they should. I think I need to change the spring that controls the gears. Does anyone have a guide to doing that and how easy it it to do?

Thanks in advance.

The hub is the key to how well the wheel spins - but to be honest it could be any of a number of things -too much grease,overtightened cones, worn bearings or worn cones etc.

I'd start by slackening one cone by 1/4 of a turn,check that there is no play in the wheel and then see how the wheel spins.

gbb

Legendary Member
Hi Mike.
The wheel stopping is probably because the wheel bearings need servicing / adjusting. A job you could do if you have the tools and a little experience. Otherwise it a bike shop job to get them adjusted.

Gears not changing as quick as they should...it almost certainly wont be the spring, it'll probably be cable tension (or lack of it)
Again, something you could tinker with if you do some homework (youtube have some good tutorails)...otherwise, another easy job for the bike shop. (probably :tongue:)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Wheel - take it off the bike, hold it by the axle ends and try to spin it. Does it slow down the same way? Then it's definitely the hub - needs cleaning out and re-greasing. Easy enough to do. Get some grease and give it a go. If it doesn't, it'ssomething to do with the way you're fixing it to the bike. Have a go & report back.

Gears - probably the cable hasn't been lubed in years.Dribble 3-in-1 down the housing - that's the tube the cable goes thru' - and on the bottom of the bottom bracket - where it rubs the frame (or some kind of grooved attachment). You may need to replace the cables, but quite likely you won't.

Top Bottom